Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk strips out "unknown"

When I switch to formatted view and back, CD has stripped out tags it doesn't understand, wether "it" is the IE control (if CD uses that) or it's CD itself.

To reproduce:

1- go to html view
2- add text: [foo]bar[/foo]
3- switch to formatted view and then back

([foo] is of course a normal html tag, but the "New Topic" page siad "Do not use HTML tags")

Notice that only bar is left, the [foo] tags were stripped out.

I originally noticed this when I tested my source code formatter external program today and used the sourcecode tag name. I had to switch to (and hijack) the name "code" instead to avoid having my tags removed.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

"unknown" should be "unknown" tags

For some reason the word "tags" dropped out.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

If you're using CityDesk 2 then the article editor does its best to produce valid xhtml. If you put an invalid tag in, like <foo></foo> then it's well within its' right to strip it out - because it's not valid xhtml.

Why would you want to use invalid tags in the first place? Maybe there's an alternative technique to achieve what you're attempting.

John C
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

What if I want to produce an xml file for my articles ? I'd absolutely have to stay away from the Normal View then, one click by mistake removes all my xml tags.

I'm just saying that I, personally, think it's wrong that CD decides what is a "legal" tag, and what is not. Perhaps it should be an option ?

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

What does "normal" view mean for xml?  HTML or xhtml defines the file to be displayable by an html viewer.  But xml isn't really a display format at all.

I see your concern, but I don't think there is really a way to expect an html viewer to display stuff id doesn't understand.  I guess it could just ignore the tags though

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home