Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How does this site perform "Search"?

Hi:

I was investigating on adding "search" to my CityDesk site. Some posters , tk I think, pointed towards the free service from Atomz.

This is very good and I will probably use it.

I was wondering how other Content management systems handle "Search" functionality for sites - especially if it is all flat files without database support.

An example would be this site - http://www.brewster.ca/

Ram Dass
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I would imagine it would be possible to create a program that you could run as the "before copy" external program in CD2 to index your web pages, build the indexing engine and upload that as well.

One question would be if I could create new files in the directory and they would be copied/published along with the html files produced by CD or if I'm limited to having CD only upload files it created itself.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Try this:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=5406&ixReplies=6

tk
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Feature equest:

CityDesk should integrate 'search' feature into content management.

Then allow the user to enable it upon publication, if needed.

JMS
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Actually, it might be cool if some day in the distant future, maybe post-3.0, Fog Creek sold CityDesk site-indexing services. Its servers would index and re-index your site and handle your searches for you with a customizable template.

The only way this would be a value-add over Atomz or even custom Google searching is if it were integrated with some optional custom tags CityDesk could automatically add to your site. So for example each file it publishes it could automatically add meta tags with date created, date modified, and CD keywords. Then you, the publisher, could create searches sorted by date or within particular  categories tied to keywords.

The service might also use citydesk.xml to determine which files to re-index as another, marginal value-add. And CityDesk could auto-notify it when pages were updated.

I'm not sure, though, the margins would justify the expense of developing and maintaining the system, and there might be worries about consumer confusion. You wouldn't want anyone to think a monthly subscription fee was part of owning CityDesk.

R Tate
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home