Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Citydesk vs Frontpage

Hi,

I am using the starter edition of citydesk and I like it.

I'm thinking of buying it before the 2.0 comes out so I can get the professional upgrage for free.

But before I invest $79 (I know its not a lot but I'm a student) I'd like to get a feel of how it compares against frontpage 2002 (or 2003) which I can get for the same price ($79) due to academic pricing.

I missed Frontpage 2002 trial and I would appreciate it if someone could give me some idea. Or maybe send me a trial of frontpage 2002 if you have it.

Thanks,

Rahul

Rahul Singh
Monday, August 18, 2003

I may not be the best person to answer your questions but I will try - I recently started using CityDesk after visiting a CityDesk created site.

CityDesk is more intiutive to use in creating sites. I would say that CityDesk is a Content management tool while Front Page is a more web authoring tool.

With CityDesk you can manage you site much more easily using the integrated FTP and editorial features.

Best was is to try as I did - download the starter edition. Use a readily available template such as the one from www.dwreview.com - they have a link on the site for the template download.

Look up City Desk resources from Darren Collins and TK.

FrontPage is bundled with MS Office.

Hope this helps.

Ram Dass
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

dreamweaver + citydesk

dont buy frontpage... it sucks.

Robert Cappa
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

If you buy FrontPage, the longer you use it, the less you will like it.  The first day you have it, you can create some sort of web site, but the underlying code is awful.  It has a feature that creates menus, but that feature acts in confusing ways, and (in my experience) sometimes just breaks.  The result is that you have to rebuild your site!

If you get citydesk, you need to understand more about html (and css) and even learn a little scripting to make nice templates.  But, then you are on your way -- adding to the site with barely any effort at all.  Since you are a student who wants to build websites, I assume you know, or want to learn about html, etc. anyway.

In the mean time, you can just download some of the templates from here or the template site to get going on day one!

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

FrontPage had a feature that let me add standard footers to all the pages in my site. It also had a bug that caused it to spontaneously discard the standard footer, forcing me to recreate it. After the third time this happened, I stopped using standard footers. Later, I stopped using FrontPage.

In a year of heavy use, CityDesk has yet to damage my medium-size site (1200+ pages, 500+ pictures) in any way. It is simple, powerful, stable, and doesn't try to 'improve' my HTML - four things that can't be said of FrontPage.

(I saw a discussion recently of how to create an RSS feed with FrontPage. Short answer: you can't, unless your site is running on Microsoft's web server, with Microsoft's server extensions. Duh.)

Pat Rice
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Ok I just goy Citydesk 2.0 RC home edition. Yay!

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I used frontpage 2000 and it sucked and I wondered if anyone at MS had decided to maybe improve it with 2002 or 2003.

I still haven't tried Frontpage for myself but judging from the comments above it doesnt look like it.

A quick google search about Frontpage 2002 Review got lots of info about frontpage can do but all the new cool features looked like they would somehow require lots of server side stuff which I dont have.

Anyway I don't want to mess around and so CD 2.0 it is cause it gets the job done.

And yes I prefer working with the HTML itself rather than FP improving it for me.

Check out sites I built with CD
http://www.DriveRDF.org/
http://www.kingtiny.net/

Thank you fogcreek.

Rahul

Rahul Singh
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Don't forget to buy the v1 version this week at $79. Then when version 2 comes out you get it free, and it is the Professional version with no page limits.  See CityDesk news site

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Hello Rahul,

I linked to your sites:

http://tk-jk.net/city/Articles/OtherCityDeskSites.html

Nice work.
Terry

tk
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Thanks Terry.

I originally created the site in frontpage 2000 and it was hard to write the HTML with the thin lines at just the right places.

Once I got that done the maintenance nightmare started. It was a major pain adding an article and then I decided to try citydesk and wow!

Now all I do is write an article and blam! its on the net complete with my nice thin lines and all.

This template thing along with the scripting thing is great.

I hope I can afford v 3.0 when it comes out.

Rahul Singh
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home