Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Is importing a viable option?

Hi,

I've got a site with 500+ pages.

I've bought CD, at the new special offer price.

I'm trying to figure out a way to import those pages into CD.  But, it looks like I'll have to do each one manually, right?

And it looks like, if I have images that are repeated in each page (say, logo.gif), EACH page ends up with it's own copy of that image, right?

It seems like importing a webpage into CD isn't really a viable option unless your website changes a LOT (our doesn't).  If our site changed a lot, then the up front effor might make sense because we'd make up the time later when we save time on changes.

Entrepreneur
Saturday, August 16, 2003

The images don't get stored in each page.  An image tag includes the url of the image.  The image is 'looked-up and inserted' when the page displays.  It will be cached in your browser (most likely) anyway, once it displays the first time

Joel Goldstick

You can drag and drop lots of files in at once

Joel Goldstick

You should take a look at CopyBoy.

http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy20.ht
ml

Doing a big import or drag and drop alone doesn't take advantage of the best feature of CityDesk. There will probably be some brute force inolved in creating your templates, getting your content into articles, and managing your images. Do some small scale experimenting.

What's your URL?

tk

Correct me if I'm wrong people, but...

CityDesk is primarily a web content management system and not a web editor.  So the point is that it is *best* used (you get the most "bang for your bux") for sites that do change frequently.  Especially those that add new pages frequently.

That's one reason bloggers like CD so much.  For personal use a blog is the closest thing to a news site most people will ever construct and maintain.

Bob Riemersma
Sunday, August 17, 2003

The URL is:

http://www.BungalowSoftware.com

Ditto
Monday, August 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home