Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Problem related to drag and drop?

Chalk this up to odd behavior on some machines:

I have CityDesk installed on 2 PC's. On PC1 it works perfectly. On PC2 I have a problem with headlines. When I create a new article on that machine, the headline doesn't automatically appear in the headline field. I always have to type a headline.

Even stranger: This happened in CityDesk 1.x and CityDesk 2.x. Stranger still: I replaced PC2 this week with a brand new PC, CityDesk and still have the same blank headline behavior. The orginal PC2 was Win98, the new PC2 with XP.

Not a life and death matter.

tk
Friday, August 15, 2003

What's this got to do with drag and drop?

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 15, 2003

I think they have in common is that when you describe them you hear the Twilight Zone music in the background...

John C
Friday, August 15, 2003

My inability to type proper English could be related too...

John C
Friday, August 15, 2003

I don't know if it;s related at all. But here is odd behavior on very basic CityDesk functions on a handful machines. My drag and drop works fine though. In my case it makes me worry about my PC: What else is going wrong that may bite me later?

I didn't mention that my PC2 is the wife's breadwinning machine and she whacks me (very hard) whenever it screws up.

tk
Friday, August 15, 2003

tk, from the sounds of what you are saying I suggest that you may be experiencing "memory parity" errors. That's what happens when someone buys PC's that have been populated with "cheap" or "cheap" and "mismatched" chips.

When a PC is purchased from a reputable source this kind of problem [with cheap and mismatched chips] seldom happens. And yes even some reputable vendors sometime slip up.

And yes parity errors can cause many many different problems.

David Mozer
Friday, August 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home