Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk suitable for Real Estate agent?

My mother-in-law is a real estate agent and wants me to setup a website that she can use to show info about her listings.

I am very proficient in Macromedia Studio MX so my first thought was to create it in Dreamweaver MX and have her use Contribute 2 to maintain it.

But I'm wondering if a simpler solution is use CityDesk instead. Can CityDesk import a site created with Dreamweaver? What about Dreamweaver templates? Since the site doesn't exist yet, I could obviously create it using CityDesk (although I haven't played with either CityDesk or Contribute yet).

She will not want to go anywhere near scripting - she will just want to be able to create new pages,  add images and listing info and upload it.

Thoughts?

Curious
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

One of many CityDesk created sites:

http://www.lakemonticelloproperties.com

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

I'm not familiar with Contribute, but I do have a lot of Dreamweaver experience.

CityDesk won't easily work in conjunction with Dreamweaver's site management abilities, like templates.  You could still create the CD templates in DW as plain html, then cut&paste the code into CD, but it won't do a bulk import of an entire DW-generated site.

My answer to your overlying question, though, is *definitely*.  I could almost guarantee that your mother-in-law would get along well with posting articles to CD, as I've so far set up two sites for people who are barely computer literate, and their only comment has been how 'fun' adding pages is.

I think a good part of CD's strength comes in its client-side model, which is very familiar to anyone who's used windows for any kind of file management in the past.

Greg
Thursday, August 14, 2003

I used contribute when it was still being developed, and I don't think it does half of what CityDesk does. You still have to create the navigation to the pages, which CityDesk does for you automatically.

www.marktaw.com

I've used both products quite a bit and the thing to understand is that each is approaching the publishing problem from a different angle.  Typically, for this sort of site (stuctured/database sort of content) CityDesk is far superior.  It has capabilities to better manage listings and automatically create indexes, etc.  If there are only ever a few pages involved, Contribute has excellent and very easy to use editing functionality.  It does not however provide the full content management functionality of CityDesk.  Myself, I prefer CityDesk as well for its ability to get the job done.  It is always straightforward to use, always publishes properly, etc.  Contribute users seem to experience a lot more problems.

Russ Hollmann

I was about to start evaluating CityDesk vs. Contribute but CityDesk isn't available for the Mac. (Mother in law uses Mac - I use both Mac and Windows).

Is Citydesk going to be available for Mac OSX anytime soon?

Curious
Monday, September 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home