Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Drag and drop does not work

Hi,

whatever I try, I can't drop a file on CityDesk's main window.  Regardless of the filetype,  I always get the "no drop allowed" mouse cursor. FWIW, droping an image on an article windows doesn't work as well. Any hints?

I run Citydesk 2.0.17 on a German Windows 2000 SP1.

Janek.

Janek Schwarz
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

That's really odd. It works great for me...Does it do that regardless of whether you are in designer mode or not (not that it should matter).
What are dragging from, the Explorer or some other app? By the Explorer I mean Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

Israel Orange

Do you drag into the main window directly, or do you drag onto the taskbar button, then into the cd window? Also shouldn't matter but it might be a clue...
Oh, and do you have any modal windows open in CD? You can't drop onto the main window if a modal window is running. For instance, a messagebox, or the new publish location wizard, or amusingly enough, the insert file dialog. You have to close the modal window first.

Israel Orange

I know it's odd ;-). I've watched the Flash movie where Joel throws images all over the place. So I knew it should work. Just that it does not  for me.

I have a couple of files on my desktop (jpgs, txt, jar). Droping those doesn't work. In fact, I a tried dragging various files from different folders on disk. All with the same result.

I tried switching to designer mode. Doesn't make a difference.

Janek Schwarz

So, do you have a modal window open?

Israel Orange

Hey, you ask good questions.

So I restarted Windows. Started CityDesk.  Made sure no other window is open. Dragged a mp3-File from the desktop. As soon as I move it over CityDesk the mouse pointer turns into that "no go" sign. I literally tried every pixel in the window. CityDesk does not let me drop the file.

Janek Schwarz

Wow. This just doesn't wanna be an easy one does it?

Israel Orange

I don't know if this makes sense, but did you try dropping into a different cty file than the one you are using now?

Israel Orange

Yes, I did. I simply created a new site. No go.

Janek Schwarz

Also, does using the Insert menu work? I know it's not as nice as drag'n'drop, but it would be a good clue, so we know that it's drag n drop only that has a problem.

Israel Orange

Insert via menu works. That's the only way I can get files into my cty-files at the moment.

Janek Schwarz

Weird. Looking up stuff, maybe I can figure something out...

Israel Orange

Can you drag and drop in any other applications? Or is the problem CityDesk only?

Israel Orange

I do not know if this applies but it may be a clue

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298798

David Mozer

As far as I can tell, drag and drop works with other applicatons.  I dropped a file on Word, Excel, PMMailI and several other applications.  All of them accepted it.

Dragging a file with the right mouse button and dropping it on CityDesk as suggested in the knowledge base article doesn't work.

Janek Schwarz
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Well, I just tried drag and drop on my Windows 2000 system [server and professional] to see if I could reproduce what you've been experiencing ... and on my system “drag and drop” works without any problems using CD 2.0.17 RC ... My normal work environment is Windows XP on the desktop.

I suspect that you've got a registry issue [perhaps its corrupt] ... so that will take a great deal of time to debug unless you can get a hold of a registry tool like "Registry First Aid"  http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/Reg1Aid/  and this tool may not help solve the problem “if” your issue was caused by some application you’ve installed that may have changed some "keys" without understanding the impact of that change. This happens a lot especially by hacker application developers – which is why its important to be careful when installing apps in production environments.

BTW, RFA takes time to learn and it can be intimidating.. there might be much more friendly tools out there so it may be worth while to check around. Its very dangerous playing with the registry unless you "really" know what you're doing.

99% of the issues .. like the problem you're experiencing is due to registry issue caused primarily by rogue applications where the developers do not do stringent testing prior to production relase – things like staying away from “shared” DLL’s etc etc..

David Mozer

Have you tried reinstalling CityDesk? Sorry, I know this is elementary but I can't think of anything else.

Israel Orange

Hi Israel, hi David,

coincidentally, reinstalling was what I just did. Drag and drop still does not work.

I'll try working with a registry debugging utility. On the other hand, I don't really feel like messing with the registry. I still can import files via the insert menu. Drag and drop is not that import to me to risk my machine.

I tried dragging various files and dropping them on almost every program that I have installed. Until now, CityDesk is the only application that has problems with drag and drop.

Just for the record, CityDesk was the last application that I installed on my machine. I did not uninstall an application after installing CityDesk.

I'd like to thank you both for trying to help me. Maybe someone from Fogcreek could offer help. I don't mind to help debugging the problem. If they threw test builds on me, I'd try them.

Janek.

Janek Schwarz

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home