Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk and Google

This may be a dumb question.

Does Google view all sites created by CityDesk as blogs?

I am worried that the automatic meta tag insertions may trigger Google to list my site incorrectly as a web log.

John

John Meadows
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Does Google categorize blogs separately from non-blog pages?

Alex Chernavsky

No sorry - I was not clear in my post.

Would Google designate my CityDesk published site as a blog and hence penalize it's position?

My site is not a blog.

John Meadows

Currently, Google favors blogs, rather than penalizing them. In the future, the rumor is that it will offer a blog-free main search and a blog search tab. I don't find this to be a credible rumor but it's possible. Regardless they won't use meta tags to distinguish blog from non-blog, they're smarter than that. Google is highly opposed to the explicitly semantic web. They don't use meta tags for much. They don't consider them to be an adequate indicator of authoritativeness.
No search engine worth its salt does.

Israel Orange

If this ever does become a problem for you (again, I really doubt it will) then you can always use a resource editor to change the offending string in the exe.

Israel Orange

They just bought Blogger-does this sound like a company that's trying to get away from or discredit blogs?

Israel Orange

They didn't discredit newsgroups when they acquired Deja.

If Google uses numbers in the URL to determine whether or not something is a news site, I somehow think it's not impossible above using CityDesk's meta tags to determine whether or not something is a blog.

But since there is no "home" edition of CD, how many blogs v. professional sites do you think there will be in CD now?

www.marktaw.com

Some people use FrontPage to create blogs. That doesn't mean Google will label all FrontPage sites blogs, though. They didn't get to dominate the search engine space by being dumb.

Just publish your site, and if you later find you're having problems for some reason, deal with it then. But it's no use speculating wildly about things that are quite unlikely - your time would be better spent developing quality content for your site.

Darren Collins

What tk said, exactly. Don't worry about phantom issues.

Israel Orange

Oops! That was Darren. Sorry man! My mistake. I can't tell you CityDesk superstars apart, you all look the same! ;-)

Israel Orange

Actually, I'm most accurate when I don't say anything.

tk
Thursday, August 14, 2003

I'm confused now, could someone pls explain this 'automatic meta-tag insertion' to me? 

Having just checked my site, my meta tags are exactly as I set them up when I wrote my templates.  Did the original poster just not realize that he could edit the meta tags at the template level?

Greg

CityDesk automatically inserts a couple of meta tags during publishing to enable CityDesk to go to the appropriate article from the IE Edit menu.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

---Hoping fervently that this will be a disable-able feature in the final release.

Simply put, I won't use any content manager that doesn't give me 100% control over the final code.

Greg

Well, you are making the perfect the enemy of the good, Greg, and that's a mistake. For some nebulous (and wrong) concept of "control" you're going to give up one of the best software productivity amplifiers ever written. Yes, I'm talking about CityDesk, and no, that's not hyperbole.
Hey, here's a tip for ya, Greg: write a script (use VBScript and Microsoft Scripting Runtime) to delete the lines that offend you so much, and have CityDesk run it every time it publishes (You tell CityDesk in the publish locations wizard, on the next to last screen, what program you want to run before & after it publishes). Voila, problem solved.
If you are insufficiently technically skilled to create such a script, let me know and I might be willing to whip something up for you.

Israel Orange

Perhaps I should qualify the above statement.  I simply would hate to see CD, in the name of 'ease of use,' start _prescribing_ web page code (or anything else to do with my site, for that matter).  It shouldn't be treated as heresy to ask that a simple preferences toggle be added to remove meta tags that I don't want on my pages, or more desirably, some sort of dialog to select standard meta tags across all pages. 

Yes, I'm aware of the ability to run a script at publish time.  Yes, I could write a couple of lines of perl that would remove the meta tags.  In a product that I paid $60 for, however, I really shouldn't have to do something like this.  THAT was my point. 

As I see it, CD will grow in power and effectiveness ( and user base) only if it keeps [my nebulous (and wrong) concept of] control in the hands of the end user, without requiring them to go to extra lengths, employing workarounds to accomplish tasks that should be included as standard product features.

Greg

Greg;
I didn't mean to be offensive, if you are offended. I definitely didn't mean to treat you as a "heretic" if that's how I made you feel. Your post came across as petulant and that's why I replied in the tone that I did. For that you have my apology.
In truth, I still think it's no big deal though. What tangible harm do the tags do to your website?
Plus, you already know how to write a short script that will take care of this. So do it! You and John Meadows have voiced this concern with the meta tags; help him and help yourself. It sounds like it would take you five minutes tops to write it. Send the script to tk &/or Darren, I'm sure they'll host it if they think people will find it useful.
That's why there's a user community-not every feature that someone  wants can make it into the product. Who knows? Maybe it will. But it's certainly not going to happen until 2.0 is released. Meantime, work around it. You already paid for CD right? So what are you going to do if they never fix this for you, throw CD, and your money, and all the time you've spent creating templates so far, away?

Israel Orange

This discussion started early on in the life of CityDesk mostly about preserving "the original code." They've done a lot of work toward keeping html as the delvoper left it. For the CityDesk inserted "generated by" stuff, the best suggestion was a designer view thing to be able to turn it off. Don't know where that is on the priority list though.

If you haven't already, reading "Working on CityDesk" will give you a sense of how things got to be this way and hints at what might be ahead:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000009.html

tk

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home