Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How to create 2 versions of only SOME articles?

Hi,

THE SHORT QUESTION
Is there a way to publish multiple versions of a page for only SOME of the pages in my site? 

I.e., I'd like to use the Template Family feature but only create multiple  versions of a few (30 or so) pages.

DETAILED EXPLANATION/BACKGROUND
I have about 500 pages in my site (currently created through FrontPage).

About 30 of those are PRODUCT pages which are used in two says:
1)  Standard webpage describing the product, with photo, description, etc. plus extra info like PC requirements, header, footer, etc. for the page.

2.  A briefer version with only the product description and photo.  This brief version is used to return the results of a product search. (I.e., based on some interview questions, we display product A, B, E and F in brief form).

CURRENTLY I do this in frontpage with an *include*.  I just have a brief version of the product page and then INCLUDE it in the standard web page.

I COULD do that the same way in CD but then I lose the benefits of actually having the content of those pages managed. (I.e., There'd be just one big lump of data (brief page) included in a "regular"page.  It would basically be like just having a plain web page (i.e., page that isn't an article).

I know that the TEMPLATE FAMILIES could be used for this, but then I'd get an alternate version of ALL my pages.

Entrepreneur
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Two options I see:

1) Still using template families, you could setup an extra step before publishishing (manual or using command line functionality) to remove pages you don't want.  That seems a little complex

2) A workaround that we've used for similar problem (as I understand yours) is to use an additional "language" as a workaround.  With the new support for partial translations, any articles that don't have content filled in for the "language" is not published.

Russ Hollmann

Wait a minute... your request seems much simpler.  Why not just use a couple of the fields form the same article in your foreach loop?

Russ Hollmann

I'm not 100% sure what you want, but have you looked at audience?

I did something similar also with keywords... Create two versions of your homepage and bring in different articles depending on what keywords were in what articles.

Are you following me? The end result of your "search page" could be a generated page that just brings in different results.

Ex. 1
keyword = "(green)"

Ex. 2
(or
(keyword = "(green)")
(keyword="(blue)")
)

Ex. 3
(and
(keyword = "(red)")
(keyword="(blue)")
)

etc.

www.marktaw.com

I would just put the extra information in some of the extra fields and publish it only in the "verbose" template.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Russ,

Are you saying that I can have one page refer to the fields of *another* page?

Sorta like HTML inheritance.  One page can INHERIT fields from another?

So, I could have a Source.htm and Merge.htm

Merge.htm could include something like:

{Source.Teaser}
{Source.Content}

I'm a bit new to this, could you point me to an example of that?
If it'll do that, that's REALLY cool. (almost makes up for no Breadcrumbs ;-)

-Clay

Entrepreneur
Saturday, August 16, 2003

Adriaan,

I'm not quite clear on your method.

So, if I have  Product.htm page and I have two templates (brief, verbose), can I AUTOMATICALLY publish a version of Product.htm in each template?

I.e., if I modify Product.htm, I'd like the brief and verbose versions to automatically be published.  And I only want the brief version to be published for SOME of my pages (the product pages, but not the other pages on the site).

Entrepreneur
Saturday, August 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home