Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How smart is CD about copying dependencies?

Are dependencies copied first when using CityDesk's publishing feature? 

Say you have a site with an index, articles under that index, and various images used by the articles.  If the index is copied before the articles, a user could visit the index before publishing is completed and get a 404 by clicking on an article link for an article that's not yet copied.  Likewise, if images aren't copied first, pages that depend on them would render with missing images. 

I've searched the documentation and forum but couldn't find an answer to this.

SomeBody
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

There is a mention of publishing order from Joel a long time ago, probably on this forum. As I remember, it wasn't about dependencies.

tk
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

There is no dependency ordering, mainly because such dependencies can be cyclical and publishing is usually quick (since we only published changed files).

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

My guess is they publish in the same order as the citydesk.xml file, so you can peek in there to see what's going on.

I further guess... though probably wrong, that the citydesk.xml file's order is predictable, perhaps the order of the magic names?

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Thanks for the information.  This hasn't been a problem for me and I don't foresee it being one but it's nice to know "just in case". 

SomeBody
Thursday, August 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home