Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Dumping Citydesk Meta Tags

Advice from my search engine advisor is get these lines out of the pages on my  ITKiwi.com  website:

<meta name="generator" content="Fog Creek CityDesk 2.0.7" />
<meta name="citydesk" content="1F829CB9/12" />

So how do I do that?

Richard Wood
Monday, August 11, 2003

I'm curious about the reason your search advisor gives for  removing the tag.

The tag used to be at the top of the page which caused some problems. In 2.x it's a little further down the page.

As far as I can tell, the searches do just fine with my sites wherever the tags have been. But, I'm always worried.

tk
Monday, August 11, 2003

I don't know who your search engine advisor is, but most of those people border on being con artists.

Alex Chernavsky
Monday, August 11, 2003

I've been a little worried about this too, though the switch in 2.x that removes the home edition has me less worried... Some rumours about Google downranking weblogs, so if CD was seen as a weblogging tool, then it might downrank it...

But I really don't see why eliminating those tags would change search engine rankings.

Otherwise, my best advice.. Learn Regular Expression and then use a tool like BK ReplacEm ( www.orbit.org ) to automatically remove them.. then FTP manually.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 11, 2003

I changed the meta tags around in my templates, removing those two, and they weren't replaced by CD...

Greg
Monday, August 11, 2003

I'm just happy that this information is now in the meta tags. As far as I know (and I did a lot of experimenting), consistent usage of keywords in
URL
Headings (H1,H2..)
links
and tekst is much more appreciated by the search engines as the meta tags.

The knowledge of search engine advisors is usually based on looking what the top ranking pages do. It may or may not be of influence...

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I've been told that minimising the amount of junk in the header is one of the goals - only having pertinent items in there.
I paste my templates in from another editor (Sothink), which inserts it's own Meta lines as well, and Citydesk inserts its two lines immediately after <head> and before <title>
I'm really not wanting to run another process and manually FTP as I tend to FTP the entire site at least once a day.
Before anyone asks why I do that, it's because parts of every page change every day and I haven't worked out a convenient way to stop that happening yet!
Anyway, I'll just live with those lines unless anyone has a bright idea how to suppress them.

Richard Wood
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

In the meantime I though of this rather crude hack around the <HEAD> and <TITLE> tags which I get a feeling I'm going to regret doing later:

{$.HEADCUTSTART$}<HEAD><TITLE>{$.HEADCUTFINISH$}
where .HEADCUTSTART = <!--
and .HEADCUTFINISH = --><HEAD><TITLE>

It comments out the automatically inserted Citydesk meta lines, although as I pointed out I'm only going along with advice I've been given to eliminate extraneous Meta lines and don't have any real evidence this is the right thing to do.

Cheers

Richard Wood
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I guess it also raises the question of whether a search engine looking at Meta tags would ignore ones with comments signs around them anyway. Any ideas anyone on that?

Richard Wood
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Richard Wood :re meta tags

In any template "or" your defined variable -- to "currently" remove the CD generated meta tags simply do not use {$.headline$} in your in <head> </head> construct.

Why currently? -- because [IMO] fog creek may at any time change the assignment to some other "reserved" keyword published or otherwise. The CD engine looks for "that" reserved keyword and does its thing. Some "engines" when fabricating the package will randomly pick whatever var they find in the <head> </head> and then do their thing.

David Mozer
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I tried taking out {$.Headline$} and the tags still appeared (Citydesk version 2.0.7)

Richard Wood
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Richard, I am currently using RC 2.0.17

Like I said in my previous post fog creek could change the key word assignment at any time or do it "internally" via a randomizing agent.

Do you understand the principles behind meta? -- and you may be surprised to learn that your domain registrar "may" also insert data into your header -- as well as your ISP .

The "big" search engines [Google MSN Yahoo! etc] are becoming much more sophisticated in how they want the meta data presented and have specially build routines to accomplish their objectives. Perhaps you should use a better search engine as I do not comprehend why they gave you the advice you posted. I am assuming that when you say "search engine" you mean one that you use within your website. Most freely available search indexing engines are lacking in sophistication ... although if you use IIS 5.x MS has a very good search engine included.

David Mozer
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Are you talking about the HTML header or the HTTP header?

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home