Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk Completely Unable create Russian sites

Hi, CityDesk Team!
You announce CityDesk 2.0 Release Candidat and pronounce "CityDesk is now completely Unicode capable, which allows you to create and publish sites in any language or script which is supported by your computer."

But it is not true!

CityDesk 2.0 (and 1.0 too) completely unable create russian-language (cyrillic-based) sites. When I type my article in Russian and then save him and then preview site... what's terrible! CityDesk convert all russian characters in some abracadabra! COOL! Normal support for cyrillic has only HTML-editor, but real power of CityDesk is easy-management of artiles! For creating html I can use other tools.

This bug live in CityDesk.exe all time, because in your team is not present native russian tester/programmer. If you interested in my hope I'll aid in exchange for Free Registration of CityDesk Pro.

Alexander Belchenko
Monday, August 11, 2003

I think you have to put a tag in the head somewhere for unicode support....

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 11, 2003

No! Tags it's not problem. I put tag for support cyrillic coding "windows-1251" - it does not solve problem.
Because problem in CityDesk - their text processor don't understand cyrillic and probably mix Russian language with West-Europe letters (i think so). Because if I typing some Russian text, save article and again open article for edit - in CityDesk editor I see terrible abracadabra.
It is NOT coding problem. It's problem of Text Processor deep inside CityDesk. This spring Joel write some words about this bug. Why it is not fixed?

Alexander Belchenko
Monday, August 11, 2003

Alexander, if you check the documentation for CityDesk 2, have a look at 'Features' > 'Unicode and Character set issues'. The main thing it says is to insert the following into the top of your pages:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

The windows character set you mention won't work.

Joel himself uses Citydesk to manage a multitude of different languages you can see here: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/navLinks/OtherLanguages.html so it does work!

John C
Monday, August 11, 2003

John C's got it right...

CityDesk outputs its HTML in UTF-8 so you'll need to insert this tag into your templates...

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

See http://russian.joelonsoftware.com !  It's published with CityDesk!

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, August 11, 2003

Hmmm,

<meta name="generator" content="Fog Creek CityDesk 2.0.18" />

The CD-RC that I have is 2.0.15 - interesting.

Dave
Monday, August 11, 2003

<meta name="generator" content="Fog Creek CityDesk 2.0.18" />
Sure that's interesting. Eating your own dog food ;-)

It's just a good sign for us that more

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, August 11, 2003

Dave, if you go to the download section the current version is actually 2.0.17. I'm assuming that the FogCreek folks use even numbered builds internally while letting odd numbered builds out the door.

John C
Monday, August 11, 2003

John C has it right again.  Internal builds are even numbered... external are odd.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, August 11, 2003

Thanx all, got it.

"Eating your own dog food."
Programmers are such an odd bunch :)

Dave
Monday, August 11, 2003

Yes. Tag "charset" doesn't matter. But creating Russian sites in any case is difficult.
When I create new site I set primary Language to Russian (right?). Then I type some words: "&#1055;&#1088;&#1080;&#1074;&#1077;&#1090;!" (is equivalent to english "Hi!"). Save, preview -- all OK! Open the same russian article for editing - and see abracadabra. If type some more words and save and preview - then I see last-typed words normally, and previous words transform to abracadabra ( instead of "&#1055;&#1088;&#1080;&#1074;&#1077;&#1090;!" I see "@825B!").
I don't know how work russian translators with CityDesk but I have very difficult work with CityDesk in Russian.
What I do Wrong?

Alexander Belchenko
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Gosh.
CityDesk Forum does not understand Russian letters.
Instead &#1055;&#1088;&#1080;&#1074;&#1077;&#1090; must be Russian words "Privet" (it's translit to english letters).
See? One more problem with Cyrillic!

Alexander Belchenko
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Hmm.
Problem is localised: problem with cyrillic appear only in Windows 98 SE, but not in Windows 2000. Some components is wrong, ha? In System Requirements of CityDesk written:
Any of the following versions of Microsoft Windows:
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) or later ...

But in Windows 98 SE CityDesk work with BUG!!!!

Alexander Belchenko
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home