Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Template library down?

A template library is a good idea, but I haven't been able to upload a template:

http://templates.fogcreek.com/

Clicking on "Create Account" doesn't seem to do anything.

Alex Chernavsky
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Which browser are you using?

When you click "Create Account".. you don't see the form that starts with..

"You need to open an account in order to be able to contribute templates."

?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, August 11, 2003

Nothing on that site works, period, yet. Not sure why not.

Israel Orange
Monday, August 11, 2003

Which browser are you using?

Can you tell me what exactly isn't working?

(obviously it's working ok for me and i'm trying to figure out how to repro the problems you are seeing, so i need more info...)

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, August 11, 2003

I just tried it with Mozilla Firebird 0.6 and it worked fine.
Internet Explorer forwarded fine.  (Didn't set an account up with IE.)
Can't get the page to open at all with Opera R7.  You click the link and it just goes back to http://templates.fogcreek.com/Default.aspx.

Opera's Javascript support is notoriously bad (at least to me) so could be it that JavaScript was disabled on the first person's computer, or otherwise unable to run?

How do you guys like working with ASP.NET and the .NET Framework in general?

Brian Schkerke
Monday, August 11, 2003

I'm using IE 5.00 on a Windows 98 SE machine.  Clicking on "Create Account" or "Forgot Password" just adds a number sign (#) to the end of the URL in the address bar, but does nothing else.

Alex Chernavsky
Monday, August 11, 2003

Alex Chernavsky :re "just adds a number sign (#) to the end of the URL in the address bar, but does nothing else."

"If" you are using an ad blocker agent [a spam blocker application] "and" the template library site is using js or pop ups you need to change the options in your ad blocker to enable pop ups or js or any other combination that deals with activity you do not want to see.

If you are not using the kind of agent I am referring too then its another issue. I have seen this type of "stuff" happen with "blockers"

The easiest way to quickly check is to disable the blocker agent and if that solves the problem then play with the options in the blocker until you get the desired effect.

David Mozer
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I'm using opera 7.11 and the site doesn't work at all.

Israel Orange
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Also, O7 -- doesn't work.  Maybe something to do with the javascript

Works fine in ie6

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I think its a browser sniffer bug issue.  Here is the code in the js for this site. 

Hey! lots of Opera users too!  I don't think this code would work with the new Apple browsers either.  How about fixing up the sniffer?

//browser sniff
var isIE = (document.all)? true:false;
var nscp = (navigator.appName == "Netscape");
function Test(cmdName,isKeyPress,e)
{
alert(cmdName);
alert(isKeyPress);
alert(e.which);
return true;
}
function CheckSubmit(cmdName,isKeyPress,e)
{
if (isKeyPress)
{
var whichCode;
if (isIE)
{
whichCode = event.keyCode;
}
else
{
whichCode = e.which;
}

if (whichCode != 13) return;
}

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

David, I am running an ad-blocking utility (Proxomitron).  However, turning off the ad-blocker and re-loading the page doesn't change anything.  The templates page still doesn't work.  I still get the # character added to the end of the URL.

Alex Chernavsky
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Alex :re "The templates page still doesn't work.  I still get the # character added to the end of the URL."

What you may need to do is clear the browser cache after you turn off the ad-blocker. Once the cache is cleared you're problem should [or may] go away.

If you are using IE 6.x to clear the cache go to Tools>Internet Options... and then under Temporary Internet Files ... click Delete Files ... then check the Delete all offline content ... click OK ... then click OK again ... and that should clear your cache.

David Mozer
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

OK, I cleared my cache via "Tools --> Options".  I then ran a program called "Fix-It Utilities 4.0" and used it to delete all temporary Internet files.

I shut off my ad-blocking software (Proxomitron) and I shut off my anti-virus software (Panda).

I tried to create an account on the Template Library page.  I still see exactly the same behavior.  I click on "Create Account", and all I get is a pound sign added to the end of the URL in the address bar.  Nothing else happens.  Same thing if I click on "Forgot Password".

I've had this computer about five months, and this is the first time I've encountered this type of problem.

Alex Chernavsky
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Alex, obviously something is blocking you from moving forward - and that something oddly enough could be your windows registry ... the registry keeps track of all the sites you visit ... this will be much harder to fix. You may need to get a tool that fixes [cleans and compacts] the registry .. I use a tool called Registry First Aid.

If you have installed a lot of applications over time .. and uninstalled a lot of applications over time ... the probability that your registry has become corrupt is high ... under those circumstances a tool like RFA comes in handy. BTW, Windows 98/Me also create a lot of problems with file fragmentation ... and its wise to de-fragment your HD at least once every month. The fragmentation of files can cause a lot of problems.

Also before doing a registry fix I would recommend that you check … Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and carefully examine the various options that have check marks. You might find something there that somehow got turned on/off.

David Mozer

Alex, one last thing that is important before you move on to other stuff like the registry ... when you shut down your blocker application ... the order [or steps] is important.

1.. shut down your blocker app.
2 .. in you browser ... prior to clearing your cache ... make sure that your URL is *not* pointing to fogcreek! Just go to another site away from fogcreek. Then clear you cache.
3 .. now clear your cache
4 ..  now shut down your browser
5 .. start up a browser session and go to the fogcreek site

Why is the order important? Because if you clear the cache prior to moving off the site that causing the problem *that* site remains in the cache regardless of the fact that your clearing the cache ... :-)

David Mozer

David,

Thanks for the advice, but I'd prefer to hear from the folks at Fog Creek before I go messing with my Windows registry.  I'm not the only one in this thread who has had problems with the templates page.

If Fog Creek tells me that the problem is exclusive to my set-up, then I'll start trouble-shooting further.

Alex Chernavsky

This site has been bugging me lately.  As I posted earlier, it doesn't work in Opera.  So I tried firebird.  It works with firebird, but to download a cty file, it appends .aspx to the end of it.

I looked at the js code, but I'm not well versed in js.  It does seem like it is overly complicated though.  To download the citydesk free version, you just click on a link.  Why does this page need to be so complex that it won't work under various circumstances.

Its too bad, because it has great stuff on it, and might really grow to be a great resource.

Joel Goldstick

Alex,

The template library does not use pop-ups, but it definitely uses javascript.

If you do not have javascript enabled, then the site won't work properly.

I don't have IE 5.0 on Win98 machine handy, but I think you can get to the setting by:

1) Opening Internet Explorer.

2) Selecting Internet Options from the Tools menu.

3) In Internet Options dialog box select the Security tab.

4) Click Custom level button at bottom right. The Security    settings dialog box will pop up. Under Scripting category check Active Scripting, Allow paste options via script and Scripting of Java applets Check radio boxes.

5) Click OK twice to close out.

Maybe the pop-up blockers you used changed those settings so that even shutting off proximitron does re-enable them.

As an experiment, try http://templates.fogcreek.com/styleswitch/

Does that page function correctly for you?

Charles Reich

Joel,

Can you load the files that you download using firebird by renaming the file to get rid of the extra .aspx extension?

Charles Reich

Alex,

One last thing... If somehow your installation of IE is corrupted (which it may or may not be...) you can always try "repairing" it or even upgrading to 6 (if it is available for Win 98)

I think these steps will let you run the repair utility.

I haven't run them myself though.

1) Open control panel
2) Add/ Remove programs
3) click on Microsoft IE
4) then click add /remove
5) select repair...

Charles Reich

Charles,

Thanks for the tips.  All three items (allow active scripting, allow paste, and allow scripting of Java applets) are enabled.

The "styleswitch" page you referenced works fine for me.

It's certainly possible that my installation of IE has been corrupted.  However, as I said, I have not experienced problems with any other sites, besides the templates-library page.

Alex Chernavsky

Charles,

I downloaded, then renamed the file (removed the .aspx) and it worked fine

Joel Goldstick

Alex,

I was able to run the template library on Win98 with IE 6.0.

So far, I am a little short of ideas on why it's not working on 5.0...

Have you thought of upgrading? :)

Charles Reich
Friday, August 15, 2003

Charles,

Thanks for your help.  I may upgrade, but I know that when I upgraded from 5.00 to 5.5 on my previous computer, I ended up regretting it.  IE 5.5 took much, much longer to load, and it really slowed down web surfing.  I would double click on the IE icon, and then I would go make myself a sandwich and watch some TV while the hard drive churned and whirred and chattered.

Alex Chernavsky
Friday, August 15, 2003

Alex,

I just made a quick change to the javascript file.

See if you can create an account now.

Charles Reich
Monday, August 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home