Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Line Break bug

I'm sure this has come up before, but I can't find it.

I just did my first update with 2.0.15 Home.  On the two pages I edited, after I published, I noticed that all of my manual linebreaks had been removed.

I opened CD again, and the breaks were missing.  I readded them (using enter or ctrl-enter in normal view).  I saved, but when I reopened them again the breaks are gone.

When I switch to HTML view, it looks like it is inserting an empty div instead of a <br> for the blank line.  If I switch between HTML and normal view, I also lose my formatting.

I really don't want to have to manually insert <br> into all of my pages?!!

Jason
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Maybe this is related to the DTD.  Does the DTD specify xhtml?  If it does (its the default!), it might not like <br> tag since xhtml wants <br / > tag.  Try inserting it that way and see what happens

Joel Goldstick
Monday, August 11, 2003

Where would I look for the DTD - in the source of my template, or somewhere else?

Regardless, it's not using <br> at all, it's just using empty <div> tags.

Jason
Monday, August 11, 2003

It could be a problem with the html in your article.

Can you give us repro steps?

For instance,
if you create a new article and type
a<newline>b
then switch to html view and switch back to normal view...

have you lost your newlines?

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I wouldn't be shocked if my HTML were causing it - it's evolved into quite a mess over time :-)

Starting a page from scratch seems to be OK.  If I have to manually cleanup my pages, it won't kill me, but I wanted to be sure.  When in doubt, blame the software, right?

Michael - I e-mailed you an HTML snippet that exhibits the problem.

Jason
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

The way CityDesk works, if it sees that you are using <div>s in your articles instead of <p>s, the "enter" key will create new <div>s instead of <p>s.

So if you have an article that starts out with the HTML form
<div>a</div>, every time you hit enter you'll just get more <div>s.

It's not really a bug; some people intentionally use <div>s instead of <p>s because their style sheets work that way.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, August 23, 2003

Joel - that's fine.  I don't care how CD inserts the whitespace, as long as it does.

The bug I have an issue with is that it inserts the whitespace and then removes it when publishing or switching modes.

Jason
Monday, August 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home