Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Who is grabbing the $79 2.0 Pro deal?

Just curious how many of you folks have suddenly purchased CD 1.0 at the $79 price point knowing that you will get the $349 version as soon as CD 2.0 goes gold.

Fence Sitter
Sunday, August 10, 2003

I am fairly new to CityDesk. I initially get the free version to see if it would be suitable for my needs. I liked the free version so much that within a few days I decided to buy the Home edition. At the time of purchase I was not in any way aware that a free upgrade to the Pro version was on the table and was delighted to learn of "that" aspect some days after I had made my purchase. My CMS experience is working with Lotus Domino and GlobalSCAPE’s PureCMS both of which are *very* expensive. CityDesk, although not as powerful or as capable as the two I mentioned provides a very substantial value proposition in relation to its current price point regardless of the special offer -- from my perspective.

BTW, I had no idea that CityDesk existed. I happened to learn about CD via a non-related goggle search and for some obscure reason CD was one of the hits returned – and I am glad that *that* is the way it is. :-)

Why are you hiding behind an alias?

David Mozer
Monday, August 11, 2003

Yech... Lotus Notes Domino. Yech. I worked with it... though the way we used it was completely wrong.

Very good business speak "substantial value proposition" I could never think of phrases like that.

Some people around here like to be anonymous for various reasons. I respect their anonymity, and have been anonymous myself a few times when talking about certain particulars....

In any case, welcome to the CityDesk world.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 11, 2003

Have fooled with Home version and am tracking developments.

Since I use Mac for 99% of daily work (and am very happy with Tinderbox complemented by either Radio or MT), not sure whether even the cool $79 offer is enough.

OTOH, I do have two PC boxes and believe CD will ultimately (3.X or 4.X) be totally awesome.

So I might get 2.0 just for 'fun' on my PC.

Russ Lipton
Monday, August 11, 2003

Russ... you own the pro version. Take Joel up on the offer before it goes away.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 11, 2003

I'll admit the free 'pro' upgrade was what ultimately swayed me.  I was seriously considering the Home version, but still unsure as to whether I'd jump or not, when it was announced.

Basically, I'll gladly support a company that shows just how willing they are to support existing customers via such an applaudable action.

Greg
Monday, August 11, 2003

I am still considering - I downloaded the free version some time ago, but have done very little with it, and was thinking that if I did reach the free-limits then I would upgrade to the home edition.

That will soon cease to be an option... so I must decide within the next week or so if I am ever going to get round to a non-trivial web-site, and if so grab the deal. Even the $79 price-point is one that needs a positive decision!

Tim

Tim Sharrock
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Yesterday, I did. Since CityDesk came out I've been thinking about getting it. It was the Home edition's 500 files limit und the price of the Pro version that scared me. The new deal took care of that.

Janek Schwarz
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I bought it.  Also, there's a $20 discount if you order within 72 hours of downloading the trial version.

So, it was only $60.00

At that price, I bought it on the HOPE that I'll one day have enough time to migrate my site to it.

Entrepreneur
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

I grabbed the deal - I've known about City Desk since I started reading the Joel on Software site and forum ages ago.
Have only recently re-started developing sites and City Desk looked ideal for my current project.
Download v1.0 just to see if it would be ideal. Then got 2.0 just to have a look and then bought the Home edition about 10 minutes ago.
Very happy so far.

Adrian Frost

It convinced me, too.  I'd been playing with the trial off and on for a while, so when I saw the upgrade deal, combined with the excellent guarantee, I couldn't come up with any reason to pass it up.

Kevin

I jumped on it.  I had just been using the trial version and I'd ultimately have to migrate my site to something else.  Originally I was unwilling to pay 80 bucks to use CD for my personal web site.  The special offer changed my mind.  I'm not using a lot of the capabilities, but I'm a fan of Joel, so I don't mind shelling out a bit of cash to keep my personal site on CD.  I'm afraid I'll be priced out of CD for version 3 though.  I just can't see spending 300+ for CD in order to maintain a personal site (80 bucks was too much really).  So CD 2.0 pro it is for a while = )

chris
Friday, August 15, 2003

Is this deal still available?  If so, how do I go about signing up?

Cami Martin
Saturday, August 16, 2003

As I understand it you simply download and register the free demo edition.  Then you'll get a welcome email offering a $20 discount coupon code.  Then you go back to Fog Creek and buy the Home edition within 72 hours, using your coupon code.

Do this before Joel gets back from his well-earned vacation.

Once CD 2.0 is released, you'll get a notice by email (I assume, otherwise keep an eye on the Fog Creek web site).  Then you will find that you can download and install CD 2.0 Pro.

I may have the particulars wrong, but I think this is essentially the process for a new user to take advantage of this fantastic deal.  Furthermore it looks like you could license 3, 5, 10, 100 copies under this deal for shops with more than 1 web developer/contributor.

But this is just my interpretation of the process based upon what I have read.

Bob Riemersma
Sunday, August 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home