Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Tips on using fields

I had some trouble implementing HTML in the fields (CD RC). adding images and links was possible using the buttons, but specifying <p class="a"> wasn't. My work-around? opening of the .cty in Access and modifying the fields.

Ugh.

Not the greatest tip, but since i couldn't find a better solution in TK's site...

john doe
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Since I am very new to CD I .. and still learning the ins and outs .. I cannot comment on what can/cannot be done within the CD fields ... eventually I will have that knowledge.

However what I "think" can be done is ... create a variable; place your HTML code in the variable value holder then in the field {$ var $}

That should work ... but I have not tried it ... I only try things I need :-)

But I do love the way that CD has implanted variables and I suspect that my tip may work.

David Mozer
Sunday, August 10, 2003

HTML view for the extra fields is a recurring request that doesn't look like it's gonna go into CD 2.0. A bit more discussion at http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6987&ixReplies=3 . The "editing in Access" workaround is about the best you can do for full control.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, August 10, 2003

If I understand you correctly, what I do for this is to create variables that contain the HTML tags that I want to use, and then use the variable name in the extra field.

Dan

Daniel Read
Sunday, August 10, 2003

This is presuming a lot but if you want all the extra1's to have the same format to keep the site consistant, do somthing like this is the template.

<p class="coolExtra1style"> {$extra1$} </p>

Even if I had a HTML view or style selector for the extra fields, I'd forget them the next time I added an article. By using a template I can set them and forget them.

I still have a problem in the extra fields because I'll occasionnal copy something from somewhere that has a style and I'll wonder why the resulting page doesn't look right. I try to remember to paste without formatting into the extra fields.

But as they say, "I learn so little and forget so much."

tk
Sunday, August 10, 2003

tk. re: "<p class="coolExtra1style"> {$extra1$} </p>
By using a template I can set them and forget them."

Very nice suggestion!

David Mozer
Sunday, August 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home