Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug: automated <a href="">

It goes like this.
I'm building a link directory with the following structure,
each link has its own article, where the site's name is the headline, a description for body and the URL in extra1 .

the bug's here:
when a URL is put in extra1 (i suspect that it's true in any of the fields) CD automaticly adds around it <a href="">.
so doing something like <a href="{$.extra1$}">{$.headline$}</a> is faulty. (and quite ubviously so doesn't {$.extra1$}{$.headline$}).

dealing with RC home edition.

john doe
Friday, August 08, 2003

That *can* be annoying, though it isn't actually a bug.  I have a bunch of links I maintain in almost exactly the same way (where .extra1 is the url, .extra2 is the text for the link, and .teaser is the link's title).  I'd love to see an option to disable automatic link insertion.

The quickest way to deal with the automatic linking issue is to paste the link, then highlight it, click the 'link' button, and then click "Remove link."  Alternatively, you can just go into html view and delete the <a> tags.

Greg
Friday, August 08, 2003

Yeah there are a few ways around this, but they all require delicacy... I wonder if copying the URL and then pasting without formatting works...

Or creating a dummy article, typing the URL in in HTML view, switching to normal view and copying/pasting that.

Sometimes typing the URL and then not typing anything and just switching to a different field might work.

All in all, not very user friendly, but very similar to MS Word's behaviour, but you should be able to toggle it off in Word.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, August 08, 2003

thanks greg.
kind'f annoying clicking link/remove link 100s of times (ahhrg!), but it does solve the problem.

john doe
Friday, August 08, 2003

MORE TROUBLE.

look here:
{$ foreach x in (keywordContains "aWord") $} <a href="{$x.link$}">{$x.author$} - {$x.headline$}</a>{$next$}

a simple $foreach you say? oh no. i put the code in .extra2 . i call in .extra2 using the template. the $foreach goes perfectly through the articles with the right keywords, except that it parses the <a href=""> as plain text. that is, it shows <a href=""> instead of linking the document. what gives?

john doe
Friday, August 08, 2003

Tip: after CityDesk automatically converts a URL to a hyperlinked URL, press Ctrl+Z to unlink it.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 08, 2003

Oh yeah that too... I stumbled on that behaviour, but forgot about it. I think this works in MS Word too.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, August 08, 2003

Ctrl+Z is Un-do over here.

that is, i ctrl+c the link, ctrl+v it in the extra1 field, and ctrl+z just undo's it.

i found in terry's tips that "using HTML in the fields" is a FAQ, but the answer isn't there. and i also couldn't seem to find one searching the forum. help please?

john doe
Friday, August 08, 2003

Yep jon.... First you enter the text, then the link is automatically created. You're undoing the automatic link creation.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, August 08, 2003

JD, It's in there now but the search won't find it until Tuesday. I don't always know a good tip when I see one.

tk
Saturday, August 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home