Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CSS graphic editor

I've been looking for a good CSS editor - and came across Style Master 3. http://www.westciv.com/style_master/

Anyone have experience with this product ? What’s the verdict?

Any other CSS graphical editors you'd care to recommend?

I’m looking for a CSS graphical editor thats very good and dirt cheap! :-)

Thanks.

David Mozer
Thursday, August 07, 2003

Definitely not 'dirt' cheap, but TopStyle 3 ( http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ )  is as good a CSS editor as you'll find anywhere.  There's a demo version on their site.

Greg

TopStyle I second, it's great! I tried StyleMaster and it always seemed to be competitive with TopStyle, but just vaguely off somehow. It felt weird and flimsy using it. Maybe my copy was missing a molecule or something.
TopStyle's got a non-feature-restricted 20-use trial; I think the first two or three times I used it were worth the 80 bucks, in terms of time saved alone. They give free minor release updates and $25 major version upgrades, which is quite reasonable. Not dirt cheap, but a good investment. I bet after the 20 uses you buy it.
BTW, don't close TopStyle when you are done editing the CSS file but still working on CD. Simply save and close the CSS file only, leaving the TopStyle instance running. I would change my mind about something, reopen TopStyle, and become fickle and change my mind-I ended up wasting about 12 of my 20 uses that way before I realized I was doing it.

Israel Orange

I'll third TopStyle. I've been using it since it was in beta. It's a great product.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 08, 2003

Thanks for the comments.

My decision was to go with Style Master & Layout Master ... because of their course-ware and excellent tutorial. Yes, excellent ... not great ... but excellent.

BTW, Style Master & Layout Master works just great with my CityDesk work. And I love Cascading Style sheets -- who needs Java ..NOT me! :-)

Now if only Joel would make CityScript as powerful as Lotus Script we would be just a step or 2 ahead. :-)

David Mozer
Friday, August 08, 2003

BTW if you're looking for a "nice" HTML editor that packed with more capability than you might ever want or need check out NoteTab Pro

http://www.notetab.com/

I liked it, I bought it and I am really enjoying using it .. and that is the way I feel about CityDesk -- although with CityDesk I'd like to see better CSS integration and significant enhancement to CityScript [ala Lotus Script]. :-)

David Mozer
Sunday, August 10, 2003

I've had a change of heart on my comment re "because of their course-ware and excellent tutorial. Yes, excellent ... not great ... but excellent."  I do apologize for my premature exclamation.

Style Master *is* excellent --- but Layout Master is "not" so wonderful ... [my reasons are too lengthy to go into] and the courses ... well I was initially impressed but now that I have gone thoroughly through them all [5 courses] .. they are -- well writen -- and provide useful information for novices -- however not enough examples are given [very little hand holding] and the more advanced exercises do not provide "here is the right code, how does your code compare”. Also when taking the couses there is no automatic way of marking where you've left off -- to comeback too.

BTW, I an trying TopStyle to see how it compares to Style Master. I hate the learning curve – its such a time consuming exercise – the tutorials just do not make it easier. :-)

David Mozer
Thursday, August 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home