Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request

If this is a duplicate request, please forgive me.

I'd like to have the ability to apply styles to text within an article. I'd like to be able to highlight a section of text, and then using a context menu (preferable) or a drop-down list from the toolbar, select a style to apply to that section of text.

I'd also like to have more HTML tags available within an article without having to jump into HTML view. For instance, <blockquote> is one that I use a lot, along with headings (H1, H2, H3, etc.).

THANKS!!!

CRC
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

BY "styles" are you talking about css or MS Word?

Israel Orange

Oh, obviously Word. Sorry.

Israel Orange

Actually, I was referring to CSS

:-)

CRC

Ha ha ha. There you go then.

Israel Orange

If you'd like a quick and dirty trick, see Joel's comment in this topic:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6094&ixReplies=9

tk

I read the linked comment through, but it seems that Joel's suggestion is only partial. having a context menu that shows different CSS classes (after reading them from the CSS file that was created&linked at the designer mode) for the content writer would be excellent.

john doe
Friday, August 08, 2003

i thought about it a bit further, and it seems that a context menu isn't the best option for it. a drop-down list, somehow like how <font color> is now handled would be better.

CD can read the CSS that existes in each article (because it's linked through the template), and just give the class's names' as choice options for the content author.

for instance,
.title {
}

.highlight {
}

and the content writer can select text and give it whatever properties that were previously molded. when i come to think about it, that can also take care of the side-bar, which isn't at optimal use at the moment.

what could be also great, but probably even a bigger nuisance to code, is that this drop-down menu of CSS classes would be a preview, like the current <font color> button. but just the class names' would be great, ofcourse.

john doe
Friday, August 08, 2003

... And what happens when you change templates?

I think this model makes too many assumptions about user behaviour, and puts too many limitations on the designer.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, August 08, 2003

If you've ever used DreamWeaver or TopStyle you can see how it can be done (very nicely done in the latest version of topstyle).

CRC
Saturday, August 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home