Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk triggers corporate vpn software

Hi guys,

I've downloaded the free 50 pages CityDesk v.2.0.15, (Build date 20030703A), and (so far) on launch, and save+preview, it launches into my corporate VPN software installer, and then when I exit the CityDesk, it pops up the error report dialog.  I can't remember any other piece of software on my machine doing the same thing (that's not saying that something else doesn't do it though).  I can assure you that if I didn't need the VPN thing on my machine, I wouldn't have it there!!!!  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Barry.

Barry Lapthorn
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

If it is a Windows Installer setup, you might want to try the "Windows Installer Cleanup for Microsoft Office" that MS offers. It'll remove all registry entries associated with your VPN. Then reinstall VPN, reinstall CD, and see if the problem goes away...

Israel Orange

Note that it's offered for Office but it lets you choose any software that was set up by the windows installer service.

Israel Orange

it's here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/office2000pro/util22/1/W9X/EN-US/msicu.exe

Israel Orange

Which error report dialog are you getting, the Windows Installer service's or CityDesk's?

Israel Orange

>  Which error report dialog are you getting, the Windows Installer service's or CityDesk's?

It's a CityDesk one, on closure of the app.  I've sent one bug report in at the weekend.  Something about a subscript out of range I think.

I'll try the uninstall thing and let you know how it goes.  It might take me a few days. 

Cheers,

Barry.

Barry Lapthorn
Thursday, August 07, 2003

Barry. I was thinking, is it possible that when you're hitting preview, you're actually hitting publish, and CityDesk is looking for some sort of internet connection so it can FTP files, which is why your VPN software launches -  to create that connection?

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, August 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home