Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Site structure view

Currently the site structure view (CD's main window with the folders and files in it) acts a bit like explorer, but not quite, which is annoying.

The thing that bugs me the most is the way it arranges files and folders in the view. Explorer normally puts all the folders first, then all the files. In CD the only option is to sort alphabetically, which jumbles all the files and folders up and makes it hard to find things.

It would be cool if CD could sort by name, modified date or size. It would be really nice if the folders were placed together at the top as well.

Rik
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Of course, you can drag everything around and put it in any order you like (as well as clicking Ctrl+U and Ctrl+D do move things up and down), which is better than explorer.

John C

Well, not really, because in explorer I don't need to do that, as the files are already in the right order.
I currently order them manually as you suggest, but I figured it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Rik

CD currently lets you arrange articles in the order that you desire.  This is a very powerful, unique and simple way to handle oddball sorting patterns.

That said, I would like to see more sorting options such as sort ascending, descending, numerically, alphabetically, etc.

David Burch

In case I didn't make this clear: I do not want CD to decide how to arrange my files for me like Explorer does.  I like to be able to sort to get the files in the general order I want, move the folders where I want them (out of my way) and move files around as I work on them.

David Burch

I agree with David: one of the nice features of CD as a CMS is that you are not stuck with alphabetical or date orders: you can get specifically ordered article lists simply by arranging them in the tree view how you like them to appear. But as David said, it wouldn't hurt if we could sort them by date or alphabetically too. As long as we have the current possibility of ordering them as we feel fit.

Paul Iliano

And it would be very useful if one could select and drag more items then only on at time. Or is this already possible somehow?

Chris

I have a pet peeve, that may or may not be a real concern, but dropping an item in between two folders is basically impossible. It always ends up inside the top folder instead of in between... There are times when this gets very annoyning, but I can't think of any specific examples right now.

www.marktaw.com

Yes Mark, I find that behavior annoying too.

Paul Iliano

If we could just move treeview items around with Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down(& maybe Left/Right to move things into and out of folders) it would be awesome. I don't know how you would get a treeview to be sensitive to drag'n'drop between folders. I don't think it fires an event for that.
My most desired CD feature would be to be able to do everything with the keyboard.

Israel Orange

Israel, you can already move items in the treeview using Ctrl+U and Ctrl+D. Is that what you were after?

Darren Collins
Thursday, August 07, 2003

D'oh! I assumed it would be the arrow keys rather than their acronyms. That should have been an obvious guess. Thanks for pointing that out, Darren!

Israel Orange
Thursday, August 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home