Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Accented characters inconsistency

If I understand correctly, I'm not supposed to be able
to have accented characters like "ä" in the treeview, right?
Try this: create a file that has some of such characters in
its name and insert it into the treeview - those characters
will be replaced by underscores. Insert the same file
again - the underscore will be appended to the end of the
file name and all the special characters are retained.

Ragnar Danneskjöld
Friday, December 07, 2001

yep, that's a bug.

Article names can use any characters, because they are renamed when published. Other files and folders are restricted to alphanumeric because they have to be legal in URLs and on all possible web servers.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, December 07, 2001

Actually I'm glad this came up. I think folders should have "internal" and "external" names just like an article. For instance my site has folders called "Space Games" and "Strategy Games", but on the server I would like them to be called "space" and "strat". Would it be possible to have this in CityDesk? It's certainly not a major feature or anything, but it would be nice I think.

Maury Markowitz
Saturday, December 08, 2001

Whilst you're working on that part of the code; if an article name is the same as the article title, 99% of the time if I change either I want the other changed to match.

I'm thinking a "update with //something// name" checkbox, by default turned on, displayed at the right hand edge of the pane level with the article name. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me think of what to call the name as displayed in the article browser. In turn, this leads me to wonder why the names are distinct -- what's the user conceptual model of this separation supposed to be?

Garth Kidd
Sunday, December 09, 2001

The theory was that a newspapers usually have longish headlines (10-20 words), which would be unwieldy to deal with in the treeview. The way newspapers work, a story has a name before it has a headline and the two concepts are separate.

That said I agree that for many sites it doesn't make sense to have both. In that case, just use {$.filename$} in your template instead of {$.headline$} and never set the headline. Ta da!

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, December 09, 2001

You're an evil man. That's beautiful. :)

Now, what happens if I set my headline to {$.filename$}?

Script Error: missing identifier before the attribute "filename" in \index.html

Oops. Aah, well. :)

Garth Kidd
Monday, December 10, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home