Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Using CD with ASP (or ASP.Net)

Does anyone on this list have experience integrating CD with ASP or ASP.Net? If so, do you have a site with any pointers or tips on how to get started?

I've got plenty of experience hand-coding sites using ASP and ASP.net, I'm looking for ideas on using CityDesk along with ASP.

Thanks in advance!

CRC
Monday, August 04, 2003

I use asp.  CD and asp don't really overlap too much.  CD is preprocessing, and asp is working much later, but they work fine as a team.  I also use css exclusively for styling. 

Joel Goldstick
Monday, August 04, 2003

I have the same experience for PHP... Use CityDesk to build your pages, use PHP for the database calls, or to bring in elements from other non CityDesk sections of the site.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 04, 2003

Yeah, it works great that way for me with php.

Israel Orange
Monday, August 04, 2003

Do you guys use CityDesk to code your ASP/PHP pages, or do you use another tool along side CityDesk? Do you integrate database content in your sites?

CRC
Monday, August 04, 2003

I'll use CD to edit php files as text; keep in mind you can add your preferred editor to CD's context menu for asp or php files, if you need intellisense or the like. I use a mysql database to hold username/password pairs for authentication, but that's pretty much it for that.

Israel Orange
Monday, August 04, 2003

I use Dreamweaver for my templates... hand code the PHP stuff, and the content is in CityDesk.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

i use cd for my asp coding and my css files.  The new version does some color coding that doesn't quite seem to work as I expect it to.  In Visual Studio you get the added features of it understanding the objects, but I keep my reference manual handy anyway (O'Reilly ASP In A Nutshell).

Joel Goldstick
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Thanks, guys. I haven't yet tried to integrate any server-side code into CD, but I know I will soon.

CRC
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home