Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

RSS feed

I've read everything on this site about RSS feeds and I've made one for www.heemschut.nl/flevoland. It validates ;-)) I thought it would be nice to use different feeds for different (sub)sites to enhance the main siet without much work. But now I'm stuck.

How do I get the feed into another website. Do I need special software for it, can I make a link in another CD file? Or what?  Apparently I missed something.

If it's not appropriate for this forum, send me private mail.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Menno Tillema
Sunday, August 03, 2003

RSS Feeds are usually used to provide information to end-users who read them with special "aggregators". Think of it as a way to make a non-Web information stream available. I've got a bunch of links at http://www.larkware.com/RSS/RSS_Resources.aspx - browse around and you'll get the idea.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, August 03, 2003

So you can't use a RSS feed as a source  for another part of a website, maintained by someone else. That is a pity, but I understandmore of it now. Tanks for the pointers.

Menno Tillema
Monday, August 04, 2003

Actually you can, Menno-it's a little bit complicated, but there are tools and scripts to make it easier. Go to http://gils.utah.gov/rss/ and scroll down to where it says "Parse and Display Your RSS Channel on Your Site". You will find a wealth of information and links there.

Israel Orange
Monday, August 04, 2003

BTW-I found that on Mike Gunderloy's list of RSS Resources, which is invaluable. Thanks Mike!

Israel Orange
Monday, August 04, 2003

Thanks for the pointers. I will check them out and see if I can get something to work. If I succeed I will let you know. That could be after my holiday, as I will be leaving in a week and have a lot to do before I leave.

Menno Tillema
Monday, August 04, 2003

I've done a lot of reading and experimenting and I think I've collected quite a few nice enhancements that you can use in CityDesk. After my holidays I will summarize all I've found and find a way to publish it here. It's a cool feature!

Menno Tillema
Thursday, August 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home