Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

City Desk question

I have been experimenting with CD for about 2 months now, I think it will do most of what I want it to (esp. publish static pages). I have been using a PHP - MySQL solution for about a year. The present PHP site has over 500 articles, and performs very well, can CD handle that? I have also looked at Query-Web, but it hasn't been updated in a couple of years, it claims the ability to handle thousands of articles, it also uses Access Db. The articles on the dynamic site get archived after a month and are just there for search. It appears CD still has to touch every file for preview, which could become very slow. I have read many articles in the forum and not found the answer to my question.
I can't start putting a lot of work into something and find in three months I need to find something else.

Ron Lane
Saturday, August 02, 2003

I also need to add that most of the articles have 1 or more images, there are about 1200 images included on the site.

Ron Lane

My site has about 800 items. It takes about a minute to do a full publish -- incremental (one page) publishes are much faster. The slow stuff (copying files up to the server) is optimized and only happens if a given file has actually changed.

Joel Spolsky

Thank you for your response, I have purchased CD. It has a good support following and it looks like help is easy to get among the many sources.
My first feature request would be to be able to know what real file a magic name represents, maybe something on the order of VB editor where you highlight the item and hover for the real file name.

Ron Lane

I doubt is this is the record but I have a site with 1377 items which includes 409 articles. I'm very happy to have it in CityDesk but I would dread moving a site that big into CityDesk, or any other product for that matter. Copyboy might be a big help to you.

tk

If anyone is thinking about moving a big site from another CMS into CD, drop me a line. I'm pondering a feature for CopyBoy 2.1 that might make this easier and will probably be wanting guinea pigs, er, beta testers.

Mike Gunderloy

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home