Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

RC1 BUG - formating integrity

Create a new article, past formatted text [Normal+Verdana] copied from MS Word 2002 (sp2) into CD Article Editor.

1st observation: Looks good when pasted into the CD Editor
2nd observation: After “save and close” open the article for editing again and "some" of the original formatting is lost - specifically line breaks.

In my case the line breaks occur after a bulleted list and 2 additional paragraphs below the "list". It’s the line breaks “separating” the paragraphs that are "lost" after the save and close operation.

This renders RC1 unusable for me -- will have to revert to CD 1.x

..DM..

David Mozer
Thursday, July 31, 2003

We would need to see the HTML generated by Word to figure out what's going on; can you send it to citydesk@fogcreek.com?

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Joel, I accidently replyed to your email versus doing a reply here so please do let me know if my e-mail reply was suffiecnt for your needs.

BTW, I do not use Word as my HTML editor [I do however use FrontPage 2003 -- and for this bug instance FP was not used].  But I do use Word to write most of my "formated" textual stuff and then copy and paste that text into the respective CD "article".

..DM..

David Mozer
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Somewhere on the list there was mention of an add-in for Word which produces more or less clean html code without all the Word specific stuff.

MSOfficeCleaner is the name of one of them

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, July 31, 2003

OK, so what you're saying is do not use Word unless MSOfficeCleaner (or the like) add-in is used(???)

BTW I did a search (MSOfficeCleaner) on this site and came up empty. Also did a goggle search and nothing.

When you say "Somewhere on the list there was mention of an add-in for Word which produces more or less clean html code without all the Word specific stuff.  MSOfficeCleaner is the name of one of them"

which list do you mean?

David Mozer
Thursday, July 31, 2003

By "list" he meant, the fog creek forums.

Israel Orange
Thursday, July 31, 2003

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3987&ixReplies=2

I went over to Terry's Tips and found this reference.  Sorry for being vague, I just didn't know the specifics.  To all who haven't checked out Terry's Tips (left side of the page), check there.  Terry does a great job of organizing lots of information about CD

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Joel, Thanks for the link. OK I got the add-in and its does a fairly good job. I will re-install RC1 and give it another whirl.

Perhaps my reported bug is not a bug. :-)

David Mozer
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Joel, you will be pleased to lean that the bug I reported is not a bug -- implementing the html filter in Word did the trick insofar as RC1 is concerned.

Sorry for the mistaken bug report ...

David Mozer
Thursday, July 31, 2003

oh cool! one more to cross off the list.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, July 31, 2003

David Mozer: the forum link that Joel Goldstick provided talked about several tools. Which one did you try out to your satisfaction?

Paul Iliano
Friday, August 01, 2003

Paul Iliano: I chose the following:

Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

Please note that the instructions provided [how to use] by the link above does not apply to Word 2002. In Word 2002 there is no "export" facility. If you have Word 2002 [also known as Word XP via Office XP] then you have the "Save as" option under the “File” menu where you then need to also chose "File type" and select "Web page, Filtered (*.htm,*.html)”

Also “note” that if you are a Word XP user check to see if "File type" "Web page, Filtered (*.htm,*.html)” is already an available option prior to downloading the add-in described in the link I’ve provided here.  If that option is there -- you then do not need to download the add-in. That is what I should have done but since I am suffering from galloping Alzheimer’s I failed to do that step. :-)

David Mozer
Friday, August 01, 2003

David Mozer: Thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, I'm using Word XP and have that "Web Page, Filtered" Save As option. I have used that feature with CD v1 in the past, but still had Word html garbage slipping in, rather unpredictably.

As CD v 2 is reported to include RTidy, I'll give it another try.

Sorry to hear about your Alzheimer. I'm struggling daily to cope with my paralyzed left arm.

Paul Iliano
Friday, August 01, 2003

Paul Iliano: re but still had Word html garbage slipping in, rather unpredictably.

Yes, *unfortunate* that is now my experience as well. And the RTidy solution now included in CD2 [as you suggest] does not seem to work consistently as I am finding unpredictable and intermittent behavior in the CD article editor “when” pasting from other sources.

David Mozer
Sunday, August 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home