Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Issue in 2.015: Spell Check performance...

I saw this in 2.07 as well.  Spell check performance is painful with larger articles.  I went back and checked on 1.0, and saw similar issues.

Create a new article
Put 3000-4000 words in an article
Tools/Spell Check

===> Spell check can go away for minutes at a time on PIII with 512MRAM.  No other apps running.  Processor utilitization goes to 100%, but no disk activity.  It can take 45 minutes to spell check a 5000 word article.  If you think it's config specific, let me know, and I'll give you all the details I can.

Rob Purser
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Rob, you're just a bug *machine*!
(Compliment)

Israel Orange
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

From the very first versions spell check is tiresome for big articles.

tk
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

The page discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk shows "(3 replies)", but I can only see two? What's up with that?

Israel Orange
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

One was deleted.

I thought they were changing their spell check to some other spell check that had multi lingual support.

i wonder if the problem is the code... they have to regex out the code so it can perform the spell check... Maybe they have one of those poorly written regex's that recurses itself.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Wouldn't it just be WONDERFUL if we could use Word's spelling checker!
I have a feeling it should be doable, when I see utilities like these 2:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/scripts8.html

Paul Iliano
Thursday, July 31, 2003

And if you haven't got Word...?

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, July 31, 2003

John Topley: And if you haven't got Word...?

Then you can't use Word.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, July 31, 2003

John: I suppose the vast majority of Windows users (the only platform CD supports) has Word installed on their system.

In addition, if using Word's spelling checker were an option, those who don't have Word installed could still use the existing spelling check.

Paul Iliano
Thursday, July 31, 2003

It would in fact be possible to add Word-based spell-checking in either CityDesk or CopyBoy. Unfortunately, it would violate the license for the Word dictionaries.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Mike: are you sure about that? I mentioned 2 spell check scripts above: I wonder how they pull it off license wise?

Paul Iliano
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Well, I was sure, but I checked the Word 2002 EULA and the specific language about the spell-checker seems to have been dropped some time since I last looked. The About box still shows those components as separately copyrighted by Lernout & Hauspie, though, and the EULA says that it's up to the copyright holders what you can do with separately copyrighted components.

So, I don't know where this stands right now.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Perhaps this is why the Word EULA changed:

Lernout & Hauspie was declared bankrupt in Oct 2001 after a heavy dose of corporate fraud. Some of its assets (like Naturally Speaking, which L&H bought from Dragon Systems earlier) were snapped up by the American company Scansoft.

What happened to the L&H parts of Word's spelling checker is not clear to me, but perhaps there's an opportunity here?

Paul Iliano
Thursday, July 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home