Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Boosting keyword usability the variables way

Problem: The keywords feature of CD is a very nice way to build lists of articles from different perspectives. The weak side is that keywords have to be typed in manually: you can mess things up by misspelling-typos, you have to remember the keywords you used elsewhere, etc.

Solution: The way the usability of variables was increased seems to be a good model: creating an alphabetically sorted list of keywords, and being able to insert them via the Insert menu (Insert > Keywords, just like Insert > Variables).

Benefits: no more typo risk; no more forgetting which keywords to use; 1 nice overview of keywords making the list more rational...

Perhaps just a dream, but suppose this could still be implemented in version 2?!

Paul Iliano
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Yes, managing keywords is not good. I'd like to select from a list (and add to the list).

tk
Saturday, July 26, 2003

My aim is to improve keyword usability, as I think this could be one of the greatest CD assets.
Probably there are other/simpler ways than the variables model; I shouldn't have proposed it as the only solution.

Paul Iliano
Monday, July 28, 2003

additional Idea (for very lazy users) : If the webmaster creates a table of keywords, it would be nice if an "auto generation button" could extract the words that are simultaneously in the article (headline, teaser, body) and in the table of keywords.

the "add this word to the keyword list" is a very good suggestion, but should it be available on the contributor edition ? IMHO, it should be reserved to the designer mode.

Other possibility:  there could be a way in the designer mode to put some flag ("site properties" ?) in the CTY file that says "accept/don't accept new keywords from single contributors".

vincent benard
Monday, July 28, 2003

Could being able to parse the article keywords using CD script be next (please)? {$forEach keyword In KeyWords$} would be such a help - well, OK, to me anyway :)

Dave
Monday, July 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home