Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Draft/publish article property?

Problem: I often start writing an article without finishing it. Such draft articles get published by mistake.

Solution: What I now do (if I don't forget) is to set "Never publish after" to yesterday. I believe Darren Collins uses a keyword (NFP) which he than removes when the article is ready, having all his foreaches test for the (NFP) keyword. Sound prone to forgetting. Perhaps there are other solutions in use?

The best solution seems to me to have a field in the article properties where one can set the article to either draft or publish, just like most blog and portal tools have one. A simple tick box would do. If there are no better solutions than the 2 above, consider this a feature request.

Paul Iliano
Saturday, July 26, 2003

I think I would like and use such a feature. A simple checkbox on the properties page "v - Draft version " will do.  On the other hand though it will save 'one' click: the drop down arrow and a tick on yesterday's date is all you need now.

Menno Tillema
Saturday, July 26, 2003

You could use a totally blank template, the "not ready!" template.

In CD 2.0 this won't even generate a 0 byte file.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, July 26, 2003

I have multiple publish locations & use audience to do this.

I have a "no publish" audience that I use for my preview. Then I publish to the server with stuff that's for "everyone."

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Hey, that's even better.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Mark: I don't quite understand how you use an audience for previewing drafts. You only have 1 audience "no publish"? Could you please explain a bit more? Thanks.

Paul Iliano
Sunday, July 27, 2003

You would set up two audiences... Publish and No Publish, and in the Publish Location setup, only publish for the Publish audience.

New articles, by default, appear for "All Audiences" which means they would get published. But you can change any article to be for the "No Publish" Audience and it won't appear.

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, July 27, 2003

I thought I tried this, and the trouble was the "No Publish" audience gets published along with  "All Audiences." If you set the publishing location to publish to only the "Publish" audience, you would then have to go back and change the audiences on *all* your old articles from "(Everyone)" to "Publish." So this technique if more for new sites or sites where you don't mind changing all the old ... unless I have that totally wrong.

R Tate
Sunday, July 27, 2003

R Tate.... This was a little tricky, and it's been a while since I did this... let me see if I remember it properly.

Set up *one* audience - "nopublish" & only use it for drafts.

Set up a "draft" publish location that uses that audience.

That's it.

Your normal publish location gets everything it used to get - the "everyone" stuff.

Your "draft" location gets all the "everyone" stuff AND the "nopublish" stuff.

YOU DO NOT NEED THE "PUBLISH" AUDIENCE.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 28, 2003

wait.. that doesn't work.... let me look again. Did this dialogue change from CD 1?

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 28, 2003

OK Joel was right. Ignore my two previous posts.

I thought there was an "(everyone)" audience in the location dialogue. Sorry for confusing you, I should've confirmed this in CD before I wrote. I told you this was tricky.

THE SETUP
====

Create two audiences "publish" and "draft"

In the Locations dialogue, for your Live Server use the audience "publish"

In the Location dialogue for your Preview Server, use the audience "draft"

When you want an article not to be go live use the "draft"

When you want an article to go live, use the "(Everyone)" audience - this is the default.

Ignore the "publish" audience in the articles.

THE LOGIC
====

The Live Server gets "publish" and "everyone" audience.

The Preview Server gets the "draft" and "everyone" audience.

Since you want the stuff that gets published to go to BOTH servers, you never use the "publish" audience unless for some obscure reason you don't want it to go to the Preview Server.

NOTES
====

If you're giving the site to someone or think you'll get confused, do what I did and name the "publish" audience "do_not_use"

(joel, feel free to edit this post & delete the two previous ones... i'd rather not confuse anyone)

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 28, 2003

Great idea, Mark! Never thougt of that one!

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, July 28, 2003

I had a lot of great uses for CityDesk.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 28, 2003

That sounds right Mark. I forgot that in my particular case I didn't have the space to duplicate the site ... I ended up just setting up a dot htaccess file on the server for a particular folder and putting draft articles in there. Sorry for injecting any confusion.

R Tate
Monday, July 28, 2003

@ work my duplicate site was on a server for other people to look at

@ home it's on my desktop.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 28, 2003

marktaw-I've seen your posts on various discuss.fogcreek boards for a while. Great post. It finally occurred to me to check out your site. Excellent job!  I love it.

Israel Orange
Monday, July 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home