Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bless You, Fog Creek!

My prayers and complaining have been heard! :) :) :)

"At this point we're happy to announce that all paid users of CityDesk 1.0, home or professional edition, will receive a free upgrade to CityDesk 2.0 Professional Edition. Yep, you heard me right. Even if you bought CityDesk 1.0 Home Edition, you'll get upgraded to the Professional Edition when 2.0 ships."

Thank you, Fog Creek!

Ryan Orrock
Friday, July 25, 2003

I know, I could moan and say, "but I've already got the professional version, it's not fair", however it's such a great piece of software that just getting a new version is fantastic news.

John C
Friday, July 25, 2003

>"At this point we're happy to announce that all paid users
>of CityDesk 1.0, home or professional edition, will receive >a free upgrade to CityDesk 2.0 Professional Edition. Yep,
This is good news, but I think FogCreek's marketing policy a bit  strange.

It was only two months ago that I upgraded from Home to the Pro Version on the "one chance only, 72 hours to make your mind up $99 price".

There must have been many CD-home users (like me) who  have never come close to the 500 files limit who thought they'd never be able to afford the extra $250 for CD-Pro...and thus took the plunge at $99.

I think it would have been better for FogCreek to have offered the Pro upgrade at a discounted rate -  $25 would be a great upgrade deal for Home users, FG would get some revenue,  and it wouldn't leave people like me feeling like I should have waited...

Perhaps I'll have to be more careful about these limited 72 hours offers in the future :-(

ShaunH

ShaunH
Friday, July 25, 2003

Wow, I disappear for a while (see http://www.pool-room.com/Personal/Sarah for the reason!), and return to find this fantastic announcement!

Thanks Fog Creek, you guys are great.

I love the idea of that Contributor Edition, too!

Darren Collins
Friday, July 25, 2003

I think it is a very good step and although I own the professional version, I think it is a very generous gesture to the many Home edition users.

I hope the new CD2 will still be affordable for non-profit (and home) use. And I hope CD2 and 3 will be profitable for FogCreek too; I think they deserve that!

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, July 25, 2003

"So when 2.0 ships we will introduce a new Contributor Edition"

this is very good news, too.

simple user
Friday, July 25, 2003

Does this mean we can buy Home Edition 1.0 now and still get the free upgrade to Professional Edition 2.0 in a few weeks?

T.S.
Friday, July 25, 2003

yes, although that's a loophole big enough to drive a truck through... between now and when CD 2.0 ships you can get the home edition with free pro upgrade for $79. On the day CD 2.0 ships we'll stop selling home editions.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, July 25, 2003

Well, personal glee aside (having just upgraded to the Home edition a few weeks ago), unless the Free edition limit is increased this pretty much punts the hobbiests and home users right back into either "HTML by Hand" or one of those 'ugly tools' -  bummer. Too bad FC had to drop the edition. I think it'll have a negative impact on the 'user-base'.

Dave
Friday, July 25, 2003

When I read the news, I heaved a sigh of relief. Thanks for listening to all the feedback.

Fogcreek is a class act!

Robert Pawlak ( www.chessassistance.com )
Friday, July 25, 2003

WOW, great news today. I just purchased the home edition today and now find out that I will automatically be upgraded to the Pro edition v 2. IMO the Contributor Edition should be a smashing hit -- GREAT move.

BTW, I've been playing with CD now for a number of days and have fallen in LOVE! Joel and the fog creek team -- thanks for producing a very useful application.

..DM..

David Mozer
Friday, July 25, 2003

Why, oh why, did I ever buy the Professional edition?

Now I feel so stupid paying that money..specially since I havent reached the 500 limit yet. (had to do 3 database files because of the db-size (too slow otherwise) and none reached the limit)

Not gonna do that mistake again. But it felt good a while, supporting a product I like. Well...doesnt feel good anymore.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Friday, July 25, 2003

It's something like a sliding picture puzzle.  Something gained, something lost.  Ah well, I guess it's a long time before we have to worry about our prospects for v3.

Mark Major
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Now  I have cooled off from my first, initial, reaction, and am just gonna say - thank's Fog Creek for the nice gesture. Many will be glad.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Saturday, July 26, 2003

I think it's a very wise move, especially the Contributor version. Thanks for a great product.

Paul Iliano
Saturday, July 26, 2003

This is an outstanding idea and solves almost all of the issues I was facing re:  using CityDesk on a larger scale.  $50 for contributor edition sounds about right <g>

Saturday, July 26, 2003

Look at it this way. You bought the Pro Edition because you needed it then, it wasn't possible to get it then for less money.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 26, 2003

hehe good point, but I havent gone beyond the 500 limit yet. just bought it to be prepared.

Ehh well not exactly I did try to add all pics and so for the site, but when it grew to +50 megabytes it was too slow. So yes, once I did try more than 500.

hehe. well I'll have more luck another time.  but it's good that they got rid of the 500 limit.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Sunday, July 27, 2003

FJ

They didn't get rid of it.  They provided a method to charge you for it.  Granted, the free upgrade is nice but one-time only.

Having said that, the product is worth the price.

Sunday, July 27, 2003

Thank you Joel!

The contributor edition is a great idea. I hope that in future editions of CD, the designer mode can be disabled with a command line parameter, such as c:\citydesk /nodesignermode.

Also upcoming is the CD Enterprise Edition, I'm sure! With a way for contributors to access CD over the internet without a VPN. Perhaps, one could type in the URL of the cty file, such as http://www.domain.com/cd/file.cty and one would put in a password (or two!), check out the files they wanted, then check in the files when they were done. Something like that! The administrator would have access to change all designer mode functions.

CityDesk is evolving nicely!

So what's the plan for version 3? Is it coming out late this fall?

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

We're going to release one more major version this year, to be called CityDesk 3.0, and including as many new features as we have time for, which may be a lot or may be a few.

If you're wondering what those features might be, well, I'm not telling :) but we do have a track record of listening to what people ask for, so by reading this discussion board you have as much information as we do about what people want.

Meanwhile I believe I will be able to release the Release Candidate of 2.0 tomorrow, unless it snows.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

snows?

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Snows == Hell freezes over

Tuesday, July 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home