Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

ftp problem

For the past several weeks I have had problems with CD ftp to my hosts.  It first happened for one account which had previously worked.  It worked using previous versions and even with the latest  version (which was the one before 2.07).  Then it stopped in the middle of the ftp.  I changed to passive mode and it worked again!  Yippee!

But I have a new client with a new host and I am having the same problem again.  Unfortunately they don't allow passive ftp so I can't use that trick.

Have others had similar problems?

Joel Goldstick
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I did. I run a commercial website www.westlothiannews.co.uk and had never previously experienced any ftp problems despite making thousands of uploads.

It seems to have resolved itself (with no assistance from me) and has been very stable the last week or so.

It was freezing halfway across. After numerous attempts I always eventually managed to get the site uploaded, but it was very inconvenient.

Apart from that, Citydesk has been a fantastic programme as far as I am concerned and I look forward to its continued development.

Eddie Anderson
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

It is most likely not CityDesk. I have used CD to upload to all sorts of differeing FTP sites and it works like a charm.

There are so many things that can mess you up in FTP...routes,connections,bandwidth or lack of.

How often does this happen? Did it happen once or is it stopping you from working? Does the new host use a different port other than 21?

Maybe the new host is using some sort of firewall that is preventing you from accessing the server. Does you regular FTP client work well? What are the settings there?

Just some things to keep you busy. :)

John

John Cesta
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

It happens every time on the first file that is being uploaded. 

Here is a situation where the log file would be useful to understand which command is not being completed

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, July 24, 2003

ws_ftp works fine. 

Yes, it stops me from being able to use CD to publish one of my clients sites

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home