Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New-Window Links in a Standards-Compliant World

First, I'd like to thank FogCreek for deciding to generate valid XHTML. But one thing that need to change in CityDesk in order to comply with the XHTML recommendations is the behaviour of the "Link appears in new browser window" checkbox in the "Insert link" dialog.
Currently it adds a:

target="_blank"

attribute to the anchor tag. In XHTML (and HTML 4.0 Strict) the "target" attribute for anchors isn't supported. So, to generate truly valid XHTML it should be removed.

So, I'm a bit curious about wether it will change (and if so, how) in CityDesk.

There is a good article regarding the topic, that has a suggests a solution that I personally use, at http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1041 .

Henrik Jernevad
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Actually, if you use XHTML 1.0 Transitional instead of Strict, it validates just fine!

John C
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Oh, that is true. Should have checked that.

Neverless, I personally use XHTML 1.0 Strict or XHTML 1.1 (where Transitional doesn't even exist afaik) and I got the impression that FogCreek was working towards XHTML 1.0 Strict.

But I can be wrong, of cause.

Henrik Jernevad
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I think we'll be using transitional for a while. As soon as we release CityDesk 2.0 it will come with a default template that has the xhtml transitional doctype.

I read the article of a recommended way to make links pop up in a new window in a way that can be validated as xhtml strict, and, frankly, it strikes me as a lot of work with very little benefit to anyone. I'd rather spend my limited resources adding features to CityDesk that have benefit to lots of people. Wouldn't you rather have photo albums? :)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Ofcause I want photo albums too. I want both. ;)

Erm.. well, I understand what you mean, although I don't think that really is that much work. But I guess I'm one of those standard-obsessed guys. =)

Now, forget about all this and start doing those photo albums. ;D And hey, did I say that you guys really rock? =)

Henrik Jernevad
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home