Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Multi User Support in Professional

I have been evaluating this product for our company.  I was curious about the multi user support int he professional version, but could not find much detail on the implementation.  When I called technical support and they described how it worked, it didn't really seem like it was supported at all.

According to the information they provided, there is no locking done at the article/template level.  There is also no automatic refresh of the tree when things are changed by other users.  Basically, if two people try to edit the same article, it will let them and the last one out wins - that is not multi user support.

Can someone confirm how this works or does not work?

Thank you,

Steve

Steve McNeese
Monday, July 21, 2003

That's exactly right.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

More like  a few users can have copies of CD in different cities and accss different parts of the site with their FTP.

For example, I can send my brother in Louisiana a copy of CD and set him up with an FTP to a certain area on my server. Then he can create pages for his families site on my site and all is great.

John

John Cesta
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

John - while that's true, they're not all able to access the same instance of CD .... the same database that is.

Your brother can't make changes to your pages because he can't access your .cty file.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I am aware of that....my cty file is on my pc his is on his pc.

What I am saying is that the "multi-user" feature could be seen as: multiple users can "work" on the same *site* while not necessarily using the same DB. ;)

John

John Cesta
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Well... You don't need CityDesk to do that either.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home