Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A few editor suggestions

Well I'm only one day in, but I have a few suggestions for the editor I would like - and I think others might find useful too.

1) char/word/para counters. Right now it has a word counter, but the others are useful in some contexts.

2) spelling on-the-fly. It looks like many people would like to see the MS Word style red underlining. This is

3) replace-on-the-fly. I don't know if the bullet-list autocreate is needed, but I would certainly like to see things like TM turn into the proper HTML escape char (or perhaps (TM) would be a better replace string). A little more tricky (well, not really), I'd like "space dash space" to turn into "space — space" and "space dash non-whitespace" turn into "space – non-whitespace". The computer should type things like this for me, and simple replacements like this can save a tremendous amount of time in article typing.I MHO this is the only other thing they added to word in the last 10 years that actually changed the way I work (the first being the spelling).

4) we could really use word wrap in the HTML view!

Maury

Maury Markowitz
Thursday, December 06, 2001

I support the HTML word wrap feature.
Cannot live without it !

A bug: when double clicking a word to highlight it, the word is selected along with one space following it. This is annoying when selecting text to make a link out of it. I then need to use shift- -> to select, which is boring and slow.

/Phil

Philippe Back

You can just double-click, then press shift-leftarrow.

Guan Yang

Undo would help me out a lot as well. There is an undo option in the editor menu, but it does not appear to work (or am I missing something).

All in all, I am very impressed though. Excellent job. Kicks FrontPages arse to hell.

Rik Heywood

We do have word wrap in HTML view.

On the menu, choose View >> Word Wrap.

Joel Spolsky

Ok Joel, now I feel stupid.

But really, that should be on by default! If all of us didn't realize it was there and asked for it, that seems like a strong argument to turn it on.

Maury Markowitz

The undo feature worked for me, but only "undid" a couple of actions.  I'd like to have it be able to undo at least the last dozen changes I make.

Scott Carpenter

Amen to that. Gratuitous undo would be lovely.

Garth Kidd
Friday, December 07, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home