Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CD Site

Wow, I finally went live:

http://www.beitrayim.org

It's been completely redone in CD.

The pages strike me as result sets from SELECT statements, and that's essentially what much of it is. I've already tried to pretty it up a bit, but it's basically a site of db output. And darned glad about it too!

The site also has a "bloggy" construct to it.

In a previous post, someone asked for a sound bite of what I like about CD: it separates content from formatting.

Before, if there was an event, I'd have to go directly to the site home page and modify it. Now, I create a new article for the event listing, and bammo it's on the home page *and* a consolidated event listing page *and* on the committee's separate home page. I'm never going to "before" :-)

Bob Bloom
Thursday, July 17, 2003

Mazel tov!

Joel Spolsky
Friday, July 18, 2003

Nice breadcrumbs. How can I do that?

tk
Friday, July 18, 2003

TK,

Here's my variable "breadcrumb":

<a href="http://www.beitrayim.org/">Home</a>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--

//Bread crumb script - Kevin Lynn Brown
//Duplicate directory names bug fix by JavaScriptKit.com
// http://javascriptkit.com/script/script2/breadcrumb.shtml
//
// modified by Bob Bloom, May 29/2003

var path = "";
var href = document.location.href;
var s = href.split("/");
for (var i=2;i<(s.length-1);i++) {
path+="<A HREF=\""+href.substring(0,href.indexOf("/"+s[i])+s[i].length+1)+"/\">"+s[i]+"</A> / ";
}
i=s.length-1;
path+="<A HREF=\""+href.substring(0,href.indexOf(s[i])+s[i].length)+"\">"+s[i]+"</A>";
var url = path.substring(57,path.length);
document.writeln(url);
//-->
</script>

Please note that I cheat! I hard code the home page.

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Friday, July 18, 2003

OT Comment
path+="<A HREF=\""+href.substring(0,href.indexOf("/"+s[i])+s[i].length+1)+"/\">"+s[i]+"</A> / ";
}
i=s.length-1;
path+="<A HREF=\""+href.substring(0,href.indexOf(s[i])+s[i].length)+"\">"+s[i]+"</A>";
Is it any wonder so many newbies end up with a flat forehead with the mirror image of "ViewSonic" (or whatever) imbeded into it. It looks like a typewriter exploded. No offence intended Bob the comment is on "what it takes to get it done".

Dave
Friday, July 18, 2003

Dave,

Well, see, CD script won't let me do this. So I have this darned js. Luckily, and don't ask me why, but v2.0.7 didn't zap my breadcrumb js. Maybe 'cause it's in a variable!

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Friday, July 18, 2003

Bob
Whatever it says it seems to do the trick, nice site. The bread-crumb effect is cool. Learning the JS to do it looks like it hurt (I don't know the first thing about JS and have too much on my plate to learn it) - again I'm not commenting on your ability to write JS, just JS itself, it just looks painful. Actually the more I look at it the more it makes sense, you just have to unfocus your eyes... :)

Have a nice day.

Dave
Saturday, July 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home