Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Catenaccio?

Is this program ( http://www.catenaccio.com/CAT/DESKTOPCMS.html ) related to CityDesk? Just wondering... If not, they do look a like a lot: even the tour.

Arthur
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

In any case they forgot to change this in the bottom of the page:

With Catenaccio DCMS, you define the layout and appearance of the site once. After that, you can add, edit, and remove articles using Catenaccio's built-in word processor. You don't need a web designer for every page. Publishing your changes to a web server takes one click.

"Countless managers of small to medium sites have wondered how to cross the chasm from hand-built pages to a true content management system. Now a product called City Desk provides the best answer yet." -

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Have a look at what they're actually flogging:
http://www.catenaccio.com/CAT/COMP/Overview.html

"City Desk is a powerful development tool however as any experienced web developer or web master realises development tools demand knowledge, ability and investment in setting up. Catenaccio offers ready made components that will allow you to convert your existing web or develop from new enabling our clients to get up and running immediately and guaranteeing a swift ROI. Catenaccio Components offer our clients the ability to leverage the benefits of City Desk with ease and simplicity."

took a long time to find it though.

Dave
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

but then ... i'm not so sure. This is a very confusing site. It appears to be about CD 'components' (templates ??) or is it ??? I don't see anything about owning CD or if it's supplied - oh well...

Dave
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Joel set up a commission so if you make a CityDesk sale you can earn up to 50% of the sale price. My guess is they're selling both their services & copies of CD through this referral program.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

"Joel set up a commission so if you make a CityDesk sale you can earn up to 50% of the sale price. My guess is they're selling both their services & copies of CD through this referral program."

So this give companies the right to change the product's name? Rather confusing.

Arthur
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Included in the Catenaccio umbrella is web hosting and templates, as far as I can tell.

The big question is whether or not they're actually going through the reseller program or just selling copies of the non-copy-protected CityDesk. Obviously this is a matter for Fog Creek, and I don't expect them to make any announcements here about whether or not this has been sanctioned, is cool, or if they're going to take action against these people. It's a private matter.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

(Long)

Hi,

We seem to have unintentionally upset a few people including “Fog Creek” so we should explain Who We Are,  Why We Are and What We Are Doing.

We are Electronic Business Technologies Ltd., based in Reading, Berkshire, UK. We are / will be building Components that run on City Desk !!

Our client list includes the largest UK government agency where we assist in intranet and associated technologies development and deployment.

Recently we were requested to suggest a CMS that could assist in the deployment of a new EEC/UK Government Act. The potential users approximately 4500 are totally diverse bodies / departments and the act recommends deployment via the web to the general public.

There is no centralised budget for deployment however Non-Compliance could result in legal action against each CEO. Whilst a mid tier server side CMS would be a perfect answer the non centralised budget limitation precludes this form of solution.

We have been following the development of “City Desk” for 9-12 months from afar and have had a registered Professional Version since 08/2002 (purchased for evaluation). We liked the concept but with no specific marketing protection from “Fog Creek” decided that it wasn't a viable proposition

However our client's requirements demanded a re-look.

After suggesting “City Desk” to our contacts we were instructed to build and present a sample component i.e. Template/Nav Structure and pre-defined content structure to meet the Act Guidelines.

We had to react swiftly as the deadline for initial deployment is the end of August and the structure of the act is comprehensive Fog Creek were contacted on 30/07/2003 with an outline of the opportunity.

To cut along story short we have now secured the contract to build and deploy the initial solution. We have also been instructed to introduce the solution (during August !!) to all the CEO’s affected by the Act.

To achieve this tight deadline our initial web presence has been cloned from “Fog Creek” to allow clients to at least have some overview of our services and who we are. During this process a college has been over zealous in his interpretation of our link with “Fog Creek” and  we have had a kick from Joel (rightly so) and have now rectified the situation. (The web site will be developed further as time permits).

In all instances this clients will be purchasing “City Desk Professional” direct from “Fog Creek” and we provide the Template/Navigational Structure/ The Act Components/ Hosting (where required) and Full Support.

We hope this explains the situation and we apologise for any miss understanding however it should also indicate the “City Desk” is coming of age when a “Government Body” is almost ready to deploy in large numbers.

Well Done Fog Creek !!

Gareth Mellin
Catenaccio & WeB-4U

Gareth Mellin
Monday, July 21, 2003

Gareth... nice, straightfoward explanation, and I agree, CD is getting "ready for prime time."

Though I have to tell you... I was using CD @ a certain multi-national financial a year ago, and I was getting ready to roll out a multi-faceted, multi-tiered, semi-personalized site when we parted ways.

As far as I know it's still being used there, but will probably be replaced with something MUCH more expensive... we're talking millions of dollars. Oh well. That's what happens when you have giant corporations that have best-practices that prevent you from doing anything in a new or interesting way. It's good to see the UK Gov't is interested in CD, and that might be the real litmus test.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home