Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Display all files in directory on web page?

I run a personal weblog using CityDesk, and as much as like the software, I find myself continually frustrated by the limitation of having to post weblog entries from one machine -- my P.C. at home.  I will often want to post an entry from my work computer, or from someone else's house, and there's not an easy way to do this that I am aware of.

So what I sometimes do, is just post a plain old static HTML page with the entry on it, and e-mail my friends the link.  Then, when I get home, I will integrate that entry into my weblog, creating an entry that links to that static HTML page I created when I was away from home.

It occurs to me that it would be very nice if I could have some code, which I would embed in the HTML of a given web page, that would display ALL files in a given directory of my webserver -- without the necessity of republishing my CityDesk site.  So, on my index page perhaps, there would be code that automatically displays every file in the directory http://www.mydomain.com/main/.  That way, if I dropped a static HTML page that I created away from home into that directory, it would automatically be listed on my index page.

There must be a way to do this.  Anyone know how?

James
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

That would have to be done using code on the server to dynamically build the page.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Some web servers will automatically display a simple list of files if you don't include an index.html (or other default) file. This has to be configured in the web server, though.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

<< continually frustrated by the limitation of having to post weblog entries from one machine -- my P.C. at home>>

CityDesk is not limited in any way, it's designed for "posting weblog entries from one machine". You probably need a different type of program (web based/blogger).

I find it funny, Joel has his way of creating software and his opinions how things should be and how software should look. Is the "posting weblog entries from one machine" also part of that?

It's very easy to brave about how easy it's to just click one button and that the software uploads everything. But I realized that eery CityDesk web site needs customization using CityDesk Scripting, which works great once it's setup the first time. BUT same is true for a MovableType Blog!!!

Why am I not correct?

Some sam
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home