Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

About upgrading from 2.05

From reading about the upgrade, it looks like the new version produces xhtml instead of html.  Is that correct?  Does that mean new code I write is in html or any articles I already have which I edit?

I'm trying to avoid doing a major edit to a nearly complete site using html transitional.

Advice as to whether to upgrade, or do my deployment then upgrade

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

I don't know the full answer yet, but HTML stored in the variable editor is not converted to xhtml (closed tags, lowercased entities with quoted attributes). 

To change all HTML to xhtml in a site where all variable content was included from articles, I had to open each article in "HTML" mode, though just opening my one Template in Normal mode seems to change it.

David Burch
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

The code which comes out of the WYSIWYG ("normal view") editor will always be xhtml compliant. This won't affect existing articles unless you open them in the WYSIWYG editor and save them. It won't affect variables because variables are not WYSIWYG -- the content of variables is up to you. It will affect templates. If you have a <doctype> in your templates you may want to change it to reflect reality... but poor web browsers are so used to seeing incorrect <doctypes> that they won't be surprised if you don't ;)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Since xhtml is basically a stricter subset of html, you shouldn't have a problem with "xhtml compliant" code. It's still (mostly) html, just more consistent. (The shady area is things like <br />, but I'm not sure if 2.0.7 does that.)

Martha
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

CityDesk 2.0.7 does convert  <BR> to <br />.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

... which should be ok in "downlevel" browsers, because the extra / has a space before it and thus is interpreted as an unrecognized, ignored attribute. But it may be the case that the HTML 4.0 strict validator will actually complain about the /, which could be a problem if you want HTML 4.0 validated. My philosophy is that people who want to validate their web pages would probably be happier doing xhtml all around so that's our priority for now.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Sounds good to me.  XHTML has a lot of advantages over HTML.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home