Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Keyboard Shortcut for Preview

I am a keyboard junkie and wondered if there is a keyboard shortcut for Preview?

My mode of working is: modify, save, preview, refresh. A keyboard shortcut would really speed up my development cycle!

Matthew Lock
Sunday, July 13, 2003

I'd second that Mathew!

I'd also like consistent keyboard access to all the other options as well e.g. on the Variables dialog, you can Alt-A and Alt-D, but no Alt-E, but it is on the File Types dialog. I'm sure this is coming in the 'general clean-up' prior to release :-)

Tim Jones
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Infact it would be super cool if Citydesk used that Windows feature to monitor changes to a folder. Then if I saved a template in my external text editor Citydesk would notice and automatically regenerate the preview!

Matthew Lock
Monday, July 14, 2003

Monitoring changes to a folder, as it turns out, doesn't work so great. We tried that approach and we just didn't get all the notifications. Instead the way CityDesk works is that whenever the CityDesk main window comes to the foreground, if we have any "outstanding" files being edited, we check if they've changed on disk and reload them if so.

So for all intents and purposes CityDesk is "always" up to date with any changes you've made, because the minute you click on its window it reloads.

The one caveat, I think, is that the *main* window has to get focus. If the *templates* window comes to the front and the *main* window doesn't, we don't reload. This may be fixed in 2.x, I can't remember any more, not enough brain cells.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home