Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk Advantage?  The "Elevator Test"

There is a business principal somewhat loosely known as "The Elevator Test".  Basically it boils down to this: if you can't explain your company's business plan - or - your product's essential features and advantages between a couple of floors on an elevator ride, you're in trouble.  The idea is you bump into some investor with a bag of money and you have just that elevator ride to make your pitch.  It sounds ridiculous, but it makes you focus on what the hell it is you are doing.  I recently participated in a beta test of a new .NET development tool, and asked the company's developers (who will remain nameless due to an NDA) for their two or three sentence description of why their product was better than Microsoft's.  Amazingly, they did not have an answer.  Not one.

So, I ask here: in a succinct few sentences, what are the essential advantages to developing, maintaining, and publishing a web site using CityDesk?

The Elevator Guy
Friday, July 11, 2003

1. I get to write all the HTML myself. (I know, some people would consider that a disadvantage.)

2. Templates, which separate the HTML infrastructure from the actual content. If I ever get some graphic-design skill, I can totally redesign my site by changing a half-dozen templates (and one style sheet), without touching any of the 1200+ articles.

3. CityScript, which is great for generating top-level index pages, summaries, etc.

Pat Rice
Friday, July 11, 2003

CityDesk allows me to increase the content on my Web site and decrease the time it takes to get it there.

John Cesta

John Cesta
Friday, July 11, 2003

If you were going to the penthouse you could (almost) teach them how to use CityDesk on the way.

Setting CD up is as easy as reading the instructions. Once it's set up the instructions are:
1) Sit,
2) Create a new article,
3) Type in your article,
4) Publish.

At least that's the method my 7 year old is currently getting used to.

Dave
Friday, July 11, 2003

"1. I get to write all the HTML myself"

Does this mean you have to?

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Friday, July 11, 2003

No, there's a wysiwyg mode that most people find very nice.

I don't use it, but I'm an eccentric.

Pat Rice
Friday, July 11, 2003

It doesn't cost a ton of money

You don't have to install it on a server

It's very easy to use, anyone with basic computer skills can do it

You don't need programmers to maintain & modify the site, designers can do it

It's flexible and versatile - the metatagging (keywords, audience, location) allow content to be reused in different areas of the site, which is a *very* under-used aspect of CityDes, but a very potent productivity saver

The site's database is never exposed to the public, so it's not susceptible to hacking from outside the company (though I might leave this out because it begs the question - can it be hacked by someone inside the company)

How's that?

www.marktaw.com
Friday, July 11, 2003

You can create templates to define the look-and-feel of the site, fields to contain further information about articles, and scripts to automatically update content areas.

This setup can be delivered to end users who, with very little computer literacy and minimal instructions,  can maintain their web site using the WYSIWYG editor to add content and the labeled fields to drive the automatic update scripts.

David Burch
Saturday, July 12, 2003

David - yeah.. file that under the category of "Duh" without that essential information, my argument makes no sense. Mine is in relation to other, more expensive CM systems.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 12, 2003

The interesting thing about CityDesk, to me at least, is that different aspects of it appeal to different folks.

David Burch
Saturday, July 12, 2003

CityDesk is the best way to manage sites that change frequently. It is by far the easiest way to edit pages, organize files and upload to the server, all at an affordable price. It is what Front Page should be.

Henry Hackett
Monday, July 14, 2003

CityDesk is an easy to use Blog tool. Similar to (but better than) http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/On_the_Web/Weblogs/Tools/Clients/?il=1 .

Some sam
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home