Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Publishing City Desk

I have a very basic web hosting plan - only storage space.

I was wondering if I can publish City Desk to my host server.

I have the free version and at the moment I can publish on my computer. But I have not been able to discover how to publish to a remote site.

I noticed that City Desk uses Access to store data - will it matter if my hosting plan does not provide database support?

Thanks

Aleks
Thursday, July 10, 2003

No, access is just to store the templates and articles.  When you publish, CityDesk takes what is in its access database and produces regular html pages.

You need to contact your host and see if you can FTP files to your hosted site.  If you can, you need to know your account name and password.

In Citydesk go the the Publish locations button (last one) and follow through there

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, July 10, 2003

Make sure Design Mode is on (View / Design Mode or CTRL + M)

Then click on "Locations" it should be the last button and looks like 3 dark server boxes with orange arrows pointing at them.

From here you can define the publish locations - you want to FTP them. Get the FTP info from your ISP, including the publish directory.

Next time you publish, it should either go to this location automatically (if this is your only publish location, besides the default "preview on this computer"), or you should get a list of possible publish locations if you have more defined.

Good luck. Let us know if you get stuck.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, July 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home