Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

multusers at different locations.

Hello,

Are there plans to enable people at different locations to use CityDesk without a VPN. And when can we expect it.?
Im thinking of two people working on separate copies of a .cty file at different locations. Later if these two files could be synchronised it should be easy enough to manage inputs from dispersed locations.

Breaking a site into subsites doesnt seem to be a solution to this problem.
tia

pat butler
Thursday, July 10, 2003

I'm also considering moving in this direction - with two remote offices.  We're a Windows 2000 user.  I can see us having 8 contributors working from as many as four locations.  Is there a "best" way to do that?  Thanks.

Guy Bjerke
Thursday, July 10, 2003

I've not used the network version of CD, but the vpn mention interested me.  Would that not be the simplest solution to multiple location networking?  Then, you can not only access CD, but anything else you would normally be able to see on a local network of your peers.

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, July 10, 2003

The easiest solution is probably virtual access via a PC-Anywhere type application. As long as your firewalls accept it.

VNC works nicely for this. Just install it on the computer with CityDesk or access to CityDesk and then run the viewer from another computer... If you can access the first one from the 2nd, then you can control the 1st computer as if you were there.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, July 10, 2003

The drawback to VNC, of course, is that you need to have a computer set aside for the remote user at the home location. Real VPN solutions don't have this problem.

Another alternative *might* be to set up replication on the cty database, since it's just an Access file. If you're brave enough to try this, let me know if it works out :)

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, July 10, 2003

Windows XP has Remote Desktop Connection built in and its blazingly FAST...

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, July 10, 2003

...or, terminal services is as very fast and each connection is a seperate session.

John

John Cesta
Thursday, July 10, 2003

VPN is cool... I just didn't know of any free VPN solutions, though they probably exist.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, July 10, 2003

This is a frequently enough asked question that I wrote a knowledge base article about it:

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/MultipleUsersOverInternet.html

Joel Spolsky
Friday, July 11, 2003

You can probably also use IIS WebDAV to setup up a share that can be shared across the Internet.  Although I have not tried this with CD, it should work fine.

Steve McNeese
Monday, July 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home