Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

HTML Q - not CD related

If I browse my page with IE, I get ugly horizontal scrollbars at the bottom of the page, but not when I use Mozilla.

Is there something I can do to prevent IE from showing the unneccesary horizontal scrollbars?

http://www.jacobsson.nu/hattrick/
(just click on the pic on the first page)

I'm not an artist/designer, nor good at HTML - that's why I go for the ugly look - lol.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

My first guess would be that

style="WIDTH: 100%"

causes the table to go to 100% of the browser size, not the frame size. Turn the border on and see if that's the case.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Well, Ive always had the horizontal scrollbar...in both the left menu-frame and the right main-frame. Even before that table was there. But thanks for the tip. I put up the border and it looked ok.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

My guess is that it's because I have a black "frame-bar" at the bottom and that IE automaticly puts up a horizontal scrollbar if the vertical doesnt reach the end of the browser. But that's just a guess. I havent found any other page that would confirm my assumptions :)

Fredrik Jacobsson
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

I think even if the table doesn't go, IE thinks it does... Similar things happen to TD's that have extra text that wraps - even though the text might wrap like this:

this
text
is
wrapped

IE wants to make the TD as long as it can, as if it wasn't wrapped.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home