Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

database - where is the body text?

I'm sure I read the answer somewhere before, but I can't find it. So here is the question again: where in the cty database is the bodytext stored?

Ruud van Soest
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

It's stored in the sArticle field in tblArticle. But it's not human-readable directly from the Access database; you need to dig it out of the OLE Object field.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Can I control where the database is stored? Or is this set to default?

Aleks
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

You can make as many CityDesk databases as you like. File, New Site.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Thanks. I am using CD 2.5 now, and I guess the fieldname has changed from sArticle to oleArticle.

But that's not the point, the next question is of course: how do I get the content out of the OLE package as readable text? I know that I can past and copy content from the article page, but that would not be a feasible method  when dealing with larger sites. I would like to able to export the data in a way that makes them directly accessible - not hidden in an object - in other applications.

A connected, more general question or worry is: does the OLE packaging prevent me from using the data in the database outside CityDesk. Is it a lock-in?

Ruud van Soest
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

If you can handle VB6 code, download the CopyBoy 1.0 source code from http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy.html . That will show you how to read from those fields using ADO against a CityDesk 1.0 database.

With ADO.NET, things get considerably easier.

So no, it's not a lock-in. Extracting text from an OLE Object field is pretty easy. It's just not done automatically by the Access user interface.

Mike Gunderloy
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

"Thanks. I am using CD 2.5 now, and I guess the fieldname has changed from sArticle to oleArticle"

Hasn't it always been oleArticle?  I remember learning about blob fields just so I could get to the article text, and that was back on 1.0.

Whapow!
Thursday, July 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home