Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Best practices on using Word and CityDesk?

This is a call for best practices on using Word and CD.

Copy/paste: As we all know, Word spits out ugly html, messing up copy/paste exercises. Of course, there are html clean-up tools such as Tidy and Clean HTML, but that's a slow and cumbersome process. Does anybody know of a better tool/way?

Using Word as writing tool in CD: Because of its vastly superior editing capabilities (spelling check, grammar check, autocorrect, etc) it would be ideal to be able to use Word directly in CD as editor of article bodies. Word can be used to write CD's html files, but: no templates, no metadata, and sometimes Word inserts its garbage html tags again. The new {$ include $} statement inserts the body of an article, but not of an html file. Otherwise you could create an empty article to have metadata and include the html file edited with Word as its body. Has somebody come up with a way to do the writing in CD with Word?

Thanks.

Paul Iliano
Monday, July 07, 2003

An integrated Word HTML Cleaner would be very useful, see http://www.textism.com/resources/cleanwordhtml/ for what it could be doing.

Bernard Vander Beken
Friday, July 11, 2003

Bernard, thanks for the tip. It does a good job of cleaning up the html.

Paul Iliano
Saturday, July 12, 2003

Some time back, someone posted a Word macro to this bulletin board.  The macro cleaned up some Word uglies.

David Burch
Saturday, July 12, 2003

"Microsoft Office HTML Filter 2.0"

I downloaded it from Microsoft. It has several filtering option. For me it either does too much or too little. It might be just right for somebody.

tk
Saturday, July 12, 2003

Paste without Formatting? You lose the bolds and italics and things like that, but you keep the spelling and grammar. I don't know what it does to the funny quotation marks though.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Mark: Paste without Formatting obviously removes your formatting, but it also removes any links, and in addition it unfortunately does not get rid of the funny quotation marks. 

Paul Iliano
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Paul... Sounds like you want your cake and to eat it too... For now there's some steps in between Word & CityDesk. Maybe in a future release, but right now, it doesn't look like it.

I had some regular expression macro's I ran on my Word / Save as HTML files before I brought them into CityDesk. My pages also had to be XML compliant, or they wouldn't work in Interwoven's teamsite...

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 14, 2003

Thanks for your perspective Mark.
Joel said he's incorporating the source code from TidyLib - HTML Tidy. I just hope this will clean up the MS Word html mess.

Paul Iliano
Monday, July 14, 2003

HTMLTidy did not clean up the Word mess.

Me
Monday, September 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home