Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Using CityDesk for a *non-dynamic* site?

I like editors that maintain links, use templates, and edits in something approaching WYSIWYG. Sorta like CityDesk!

Well, sorta, almost, kinda. It seems that I can use the "html file" system to insert more static sorts of things, but then I lose much of the power of the system - namely the templates.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here? Is there a way to have a statically-named file that still works otherwise as an article in terms of template usage and such?

Maury

Maury Markowitz
Wednesday, December 05, 2001

The only drawback with using an article (with template) for what you propose is that the HTML file that gets generated has a funny name (fog000000000000.html).

One of the design assumptions of CityDesk (and most content management systems) is that in *editing* articles, you would like to see a long, meaningful name, with spaces and so forth, which doesn't work in URLs. So we assume we have to come up with our own name for the URL and keep track of the mapping for you.

Joel Spolsky

> The only drawback with using an article (with template)
> for what you propose is that the HTML file that gets
> generated has a funny name (fog000000000000.html).

Yes, exactly.

Given my usage pattern, would it be outrageous to ask for a feature to allow me to "hardwire" the name to something I select on particular articles?

This would have the fringe benefit of allowing me to make the index file out of a Article. My site uses a single style for the entire site including the index, so this would be terribly handy.

Maury

Maury Markowitz

Yep, that is very high on our list of priorities for the next version.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home