Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request: tables

I would like to request that in the future CityDesk include some table generation and editing features. 

I still cannot believe that the image captions feature disappeared in 2.x and the UI needs to have a feature that allows novice users to add captions to photographs--a very common need.

Instead of inserting pictures and captions using the UI, I'm stuck in HTML edit mode.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I cringe at the thought of making cd more like front page!  There have been many and varied requests here regarding improvements to the content entering capabilities of CD.  Some want more wysiwyg, some want hooks to css.  Most everyone wants their html to be left alone.

Is there a way that CD could be built to allow hooks to other products html/markup capabilities.  I'm thinking about html-kit, or any other similar product.  Maybe its not possible, but if it were, then we could maybe get the barebones version from cd, but be able to hook in our favorite application as an over-ride.

Comments?  Am I out of my mind? (regarding just this issue, I mean!)

Joel Goldstick
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I don't want CityDesk to be like FrontPage.  I want it to be like, well, CityDesk and constantly improving upon itself by adding tools to help you get the job done better and faster.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I use CityDesk in two distinct ways: 1) as a tool for my own web sites and 2) as a way to create a easy-to-maintain web site solution for customers who do not use HTML and who are currently using something like FrontPage to manage their web sites.

For my personal use, I would rather CityDesk concentrate on the content management side and get totally out of the presentation picture.  I would rather have a tool that stored my content and gave me the tools to generate multiple versions of that content--something like an XML/XSLT solution where the content was stored in XML and transformed into different presentations using XSLT.  If it was well designed, it might even be possible for me to design a solution that was easy enough to maintain for hand off to a customer.

For my customer's use, I need CityDesk to be as easy to use as possible.  The CityDesk UI only gets part of the way there, not all image attributes are supported (such as the ability for a customer to toggle the border off and on) and there is not end-user support for creating tables (CSS is not yet compatible across enough of the older browsers that are still being used and even in newer browers, there are some features you can only do reliably using tables).

To completely meet my needs, CityDesk needs more powerful scripting features--all the basic features found in even the simplest programming languages. 

I need more powerful scripting to be able to create more powerful behind the scenes scripting to automate tasks for solutions delivered to customers.  But, the solution I deliver to customers has to be easy to use as well.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Actually, Front Page tried to be as CityDesk, for content management (if this the right way to call it).

To edit HTML files, there're better tools (than CityDesk or Front Page), I use HTML-KIT (freeware).

City Desk is here so you DO NOT have to edit HTML files (other than setting up the templates).

So, you don't want CityDesk to be like Front Page, instead, you want to be able to create powerful templates (scripting power, as other call it), and send the .cty file to your client, or to work from that.

A great example: Yahoo Store, though the interface/logic isn't like CityDesk, the power of it, is that you (the professional yahoo store designer) can create very powerful templates, and then the client (store owner) can just add/edit products, without worrying about HTML.

Bobb
Friday, July 04, 2003

I have plenty of tables in my pages, and I'd love to be able to edit them directly in CD as well as define the CSS.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 05, 2003

Yes please!

I was really hoping to find such a basic feature in version 2.

Do you expect an end user to create and maintain tables through doctoring with HTML?

Love the product otherwise though.

Oliver
Saturday, July 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home