Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Linking to anchor tags

I'm building my first CD project and haven't been able to find a way to link to an anchor tag on an internal site page.

My client has a Links page divided into categories, and provides reference links to these specific categories on other pages in the site. The CD link for internal pages doesn't allow me edit the link by adding the anchor reference.

So far, the only way I've been able to link to an anchor tag is to use insert an external link to the web site. This work on the live site, but not in my preview.

This is such a basic HTML tag that surely there must be some way to do this.

Carmen Carter
Friday, June 27, 2003

It's do-able. Read Marktaw's method on this topic:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=7610&ixReplies=7

Here is another:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6007&ixReplies=3

tk
Friday, June 27, 2003

What's wrong with this? -

<a href=TargetPageMagicName#AnchorName></a>

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, June 27, 2003

The standard HTML way of doing it works; there are no UI niceties to help you.  In HTML view, create an anchor <a name="anchorname"> then link to it like this <a href="#anchorname"> from the same document or like this <a href="document_magic_name#anchor_name"> from another document. 

You can create the link through CityDesk then add the #anchorname through HTML mode.

David Burch
Friday, June 27, 2003

David,

I was hoping there was a way to create anchors and links to anchors that avoided going into HTML source code -- not for my sake, but for the site owners who will be updating content. So far all the methods that you (and others above) have described are easy work for me as the template builder, but not for them.

--Carmen

Carmen Carter
Friday, June 27, 2003

P.S.

Well, not even the HTML approach seems to work since some of the links are from text or images in the Extras fields, and I can't access HTML view for that interface.

Carmen Carter
Friday, June 27, 2003

The only additional suggestion I have is to define a variable as <a name="foo"></a>, but for unique anchors the user would have to edit the "foo" in HTML View. But if it's a generic sort of anchor tag, like "top" or "newcontent" multiple anchor variables could be defined.
And using a variable to define a link should work in fields like the Sidebar which won't accept raw HTML.

JackHammer
Saturday, June 28, 2003

I wish that all valid possibilities for each supported HTML tag were offered by the CityDesk UI.  I have also run into this problem with the image tag, wanting to add a CSS class or change border=0 to border=1.

If the target user is novice users, why is there an HTML view?  I like having it and don't want it to go away--I just think the target user base needs to be widened.

David Burch
Sunday, June 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home