Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

File Icons Are Gone

Since installing the beta (I think) files on the tree no longer use the defualt program icon - they all use the same ugly little Windows icon.
How can I get the default icons back?

Dave
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Sounds like someone from Fog Creek will need to jump in on this one.

David Burch
Friday, June 27, 2003

I have the excat opposite problem. All the CD-related icons are there. But I have the ugly windows icons for everything else. E.g. jpeg-files

Hans-Erik
Friday, June 27, 2003

I think you'll find that that's normal.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, June 27, 2003

Hmmm, I wasn't very clear. I'm having the same problem as Hans-Eric, CD articles are OK but added files are crappy MS icon. You sure that's normal John? I'm positive that if you added a file (not a CD article) that it would use the default program (ie WinZip, IfranView ...) icon. Actually the situation Hans-Eric is having would lead me to believe this to be true as well, but it's not working for some reason.

Have you installed the v2.x Beta Hans-Eric?

Dave
Friday, June 27, 2003

> Actually the situation Hans-Eric is having would lead
> me to believe this to be true as well, but it's not
> working for some reason.
This doesn't make sense, sorry.

I found an example of what things should look like
http://tinyurl.com/fg04

The GIF and CSS files have default associated icons. These are what's not working now. I've looked in the FogCreek CityDesk registry entries and don't see anything there.

Dave
Friday, June 27, 2003

Dave,

Yup, I have the latest beta installed. But I also had the problem with version 1.x

Actually I thought that the crappy windows-icons were normal, untill i saw the screenshot you are refering to. I saw it some other places as well.

Maybe it's related to the Windows version? I'm using
win98 SE.

Well, it's not a biggie, but it is certainly not pretty either. I would like a fix for it.

Hans-Erik
Friday, June 27, 2003

I was getting the proper icons using the CD1.0.31 Starter Edition on both my desktop (Win98SE) and laptop (WinXP-Home) until I upgraded to the Home Edition and started testing the beta. I'm getting the same problem on both machines. Unfortunatly, I upgraded and started testing the beta at the same time. The only other files I've installed are the latest OS fixes (including IE6) on both machines ??
Had I known I was troubleshooting I'd have been looking for the change. I've even downloaded the Starter Edition and tried it again (on the Win98SE machine) - same results though.
I agree it's not a biggie but it is one of those things that bugs you to the point that you just have to fix it. Now if I could just figure out how :)

Dave
Friday, June 27, 2003

Here's one way to figure out what is going on...

1. Pick one of the icons that you think shouldn't be the default windows icon.
2. Look in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.[extension]  for example, HKCR\.avi
3. Note the default value for that key, something like 'Winamp.File'
4. Now, go to HKCR\[the default value], in our case, HKCR\Winamp.File
5. Look for a SUBkey under that called DefaultIcon and note what the value is.
6. It should be the path to a file (usually an exe).
7. Check to make sure that exe exists and is in that location.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, June 27, 2003

Michael,
Thanks for the tip. It didn't work out for me though. I created a simple CD-Site with two articles and the citydesk.gif (which I've associated with IfranView). I added IfranView to the "Open with..." menu. Checked through the registry following the steps you laid out and every-thing checks out correct but even with numerous reboots I'm still getting the default MS Icon. I've even gone to the extent of using Repair Associations with TweakUI - nada, saussage, SFA ...
It's gone from interesting. to fun. to frustrating - Got to give it a break before it gets to infuriating :)

Thanx again,

Dave
Friday, June 27, 2003

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought Hans-Erik was talking about the default icon for a file type, not the Windows flag icon. My mistake.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Hi John
Actually, I think you've got things straight. Here's what the problem looks like on one of my projects:
http://members.shaw.ca/dkeighan/noicons.gif

I've already posted a link to what the non-CD Topic files icons should look like.

Thanx for helping out.

Dave
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Is this a CD Bug or a problem with my system?

It would 'appear' that CD is using the TreeView from mscomctl.ocx in which case the default file icons have to be dynamically loaded. Are they? I'm only having problems with the proper icons being shown with CD. How many others (besides me and Hans-Eric) are/not experiencing this problem?

Dave
Sunday, July 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home