Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Editing features I needed today

I'm using 2.05.  Today I needed.

1. The HTML article search to remember the previous searches and to ability to select a search direction. This used to work in CityDesk 1.x

2. The ability in "article properties" to copy from the headline field into the keyword field (this should work, I think)

3. To insert a link as I do in FrontPage: Highlight the text, right click the highlighted text, choose hyperlink from the popup box thingy.

tk
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

It'd be awesome to have a right-click menu that allowed you to turn the selected text into a link to whatever URL is currently in the clipboard. This would be a huge time-saver.

Creating a link currently involves: copying a URL from IE's address bar, selecting some text in a CityDesk article, hitting Ctrl-K to create a link, selecting the external link box (and making sure I select all the text that's already in there, since I need to overwrite it because my URL alread starts with 'http://'), then hitting Ctrl-V to paste in my URL, then hitting Enter or clicking on OK to close the box.

Darren Collins
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I'm not bugged to much about the link interface.

if they were going to revise it, I'd suggest that they add it to the menu bar a-la dreamweaver.

Just a text box /dropdown with a checkbox next to it for open in new window. Drop down for items in citydesk, type in the URL for links outside of citydesk.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

It's just what I've gotten used to, I find myself right clicking to do a link then I snap out of it.

I'm trying to show my 14 year old son how to update his graffiti page today. It's kind of a pain with all the pictures. But it was a lot of fun watching him work: most things he picked up amazingly fast. What was most fun were his unjaded feature requests, not for CityDesk but for presenting the pages.  For example he said that none of the other sites had next/previous so I had to do my first one of those. Then he asked if we could list them by artist, so that was another scirpt.

But the best thing by far was "thisfolder." When he gets a new batch of pictures, he crops them, thumbnails them, drags the folder into CityDesk and (the best part because of "thisfolder") he copies an index file from another folder into the new folder. Then there is some brute forcing pictures into articles but he is managing that OK.  At any rate he's teaching me some lessons.

tk
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

If the create hyperlink interface were to be revised, I'd like to see the ability to specify the title attribute.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Darren Collins, excellent idea. The many link steps are an old saw of mine. Also, I think it is Control-L rather than control-K. (My additional idea would be to have any clipboard URL auto-filled into the link dialog when you hit control L, so you could just hit control-L, Enter.)

R Tate
Friday, June 27, 2003

Both Ctrl-K and Ctrl-L call up the Create Link dialog box. I'm not sure how I got in the habit of using Ctrl-K, especially since the menu shows Ctrl-L as the shortcut (and that's usually how I learn shortcuts!).

Hmm, I just checked FrontPage, and the shortcut there is Ctrl-K. That must be where I developed the habit!

Darren Collins
Monday, June 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home